Thread: Ngc 55

Ngc 55

NGC 55 is a superb object located at declination -39, at the border of Sculptor and Phoeinix. Thus it requires clear skies to the south to be readily observable. From my latitude 34.40 southern location (Mazotos beach, Cyprus), it barely culminates 15 degrees above the calm waters of the Mediterranean Sea. I was lucky enough to observe this jewel of a galaxy a week ago, with superb transparency. The galaxy is REALLY LONG! It can not fit within the 0.63-degree field of view of my 13mm Ethos. It has streaks of darkness alternating with bright "stellarings" within the main body of the galaxy, and the western half of the galaxy is much brighter than the eastern part. Certainly worth more observing... I include a drawing of NGC 55 as well as a shot I took later from my observing location with Orion having just risen out of the Mediterranean...

n55a1.jpg
    OrMaz1a.jpg
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Great photo and great view of the galaxy. I am at 42N and this is the view I have managed so far:

This was done with a 12" SCT with a diagonal. The black below is the treeline, so N is up and W is LEFT. The eastern star cloud that appeared completely separated is IC 1537. The complete description of that observation is here.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Rolandos,

I remember me good back at the time I blinked the HII regions out with my old 16" and UHC filters under very good Alpine skies. From my place at 47° latitude NGC 55 rises only 3° (horizon 1° over mathematic horizon) high but was impressive enough for me.

From Namibia the picture and detail of NGC changes dramatically (same example like M 83). The galaxy was full of knots and dark nebula with my 14,5" travel scope. I tried to sketch it, really hard to detect all detail and impossible to sketch with the 24".

14,5", 118x-283x, NELM 7m+, Seeing III, Hakos/Namibia
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Wow!!Great sketches here!! I don`t have observed this galaxy!! I must do!!

CS Hajü