Thread: Observations from Finnish deep sky -meeting 2013

Observations from Finnish deep sky -meeting 2013

The annual meeting of the Finnish deep sky observers was organized at the Tähtikallio Observatory, Artjärvi, Finland in 6th-8th of September 2013. Weather couldn't have been any better, it was clear during both nights of the event, and my SQM-L gave readings of ~21.2. NELM was about 6.6 during both nights.

Tähtikallio observatory is the countryside observatory of Ursa astronomical association, the national astronomical association of Finland. Tähtikallio observatory is home for three large telescopes. The telescopes are: 16'' Meade for visual observing, 36'' Astrofox for visual observing and 16'' Alluna for astrophotography. Also the 25'' Obsession telescope of astronomy club Kvadrantti was at the site during the event.

Many interesting observations were made during the event, for example, I observed and sketched following objects: IC 1296, Parsamian 21, Abell 4, NGC 4319 & Markarian 205.

I did all of the following observations with the 36'' Astrofox -telescope.

IC 1296
    juoja_ic_1296.jpg

IC 1296 is a small and faint spiral galaxy only 4′ NW of Messier 57, and it is overlooked by many. This galaxy appears as an elongated, fuzzy nebula with almost stellar core. The long axis of this galaxy is oriented in SW-NE -direction, so this galaxy is oriented in similar way than Messier 57. With averted vision, it is possible to see hints of spiral structure in the NW and SE sides of the galaxy.

Parsamian 21
    juoja_parsamian_21-4.jpg

Parsamian 21 is a small reflection nebula in the constellation of Aquila. There aren’t many visual observations of this object in the whole world yet, and with Riku Henriksson, we propably made the first visual observations of this object in Europe, or even the whole world!

This small reflection nebula was relatively easy to see visually with this instrument. The object has a really comet-like appearance! The nebula has a tail pointing northwards roughly to position angle 360°. The star lighting-up this nebula is embedded within the ‘head’ of the nebula. The star itself wasn’t visible visually.

Abell 4
    juoja_abell_4.jpg

Abell 4 is a small planetary nebula in Perseus, only about 40′ east of Messier 34. With OIII -filter, this planetary nebula was visible as a round, featureless disk. With the filter, the nebula was easy to see. The central star wasn’t visible.

NGC 4319 & Markarian 205
    juoja_ngc_4319-markarian-205.jpg

NGC 4319 is a spiral galaxy in the constellation of Draco, Markarian 205 is a quasar just 1′ south of the galaxy. The distance of the galaxy is about 70 million light years, whereas the quasar is much more further away, the distance of it is about 1 billion light years! NGC 4319 was visible as an oval-shaped nebula with bright, stellar core. The long axis of the galaxy is oriented in NW-SW -direction. The visual size of the galaxy is roughly 2´x1´. In the NW and SE edges of the galaxy, hints of the spiral structure can be seen. The quasar Markarian 205 was visible as a star-like object 1′ south of the core of NGC 4319. The brightness of the quasar is roughly 15 magnitudes.

Juha Ojanperä
    Finland

Hi Juha,

Sounds like an excellent star party and glad you had such good observing conditions. Parsamian 21 (or Parsamyan 21 as it's sometimes spelled) was on the Oregon Star Party advanced observing list a few years ago so a number of people observed it then, and I think we all agreed this an excellent object. Here are my notes using my 28 inch scope:

"Parsamian 21 is a comet shaped nebula, perhaps half of a bi-polar nebula. It's small, faint but quite attractive at 408x - it has a split tail which looks pretty cool. The head of the nebula has a direct vision star embedded in it. 21.61 SQM"

Parsamyan21_crop.jpg Parsamyan21_cropinvert.jpg

So although you're not the first to see it visually - I'm sure we weren't either - Parsamian 21 is an object that should be better known.
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Hi Juha,

"Finnish deep sky -meeting" sounds very interesting. I just visit the observatory side and the 36" looks great. You can be happy to use such a big telescope for visual astronomy.

we propably made the first visual observations of this object in Europe, or even the whole world!
    I don't think so. I believe the US boys had this on their list for years, Howard just showed one sketch. In Europe the object is more famous under the GN designation "GN 19.26.6". Since the print in the second band of "Atlas Galaktischen Nebel" (Vehrenberg, 1987) a few Germans had this object on their list. Reiner Vogel listed and reported the object at a very fine list of YSO.

My sketch was from 2011 with my 27" (586x, NELM 7m+, Seeing III, Edelweißspitze)
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Thanks for replies, Howard and Uwe!

About Parsamyan 21, it's nice to see also other observations of this rather unknown object! Riku Henriksson introduced this object to me in the Deep sky meeting, I haven't even heard about the Parsamyan objects before that! But that is what makes all this so interesting, you can always learn something new!

Juha Ojanperä
    Finland

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    What is the location of Parsamyam 21? Coordinates?
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Hi,

I also saw Parsamyan 21 already a while ago from within Europe. In our database with Deep-Sky observation, I also find one other observation :

http://www.deepskylog.org/index.php?...sc&lco=C&min=0
    Wim De Meester
    18'' Obsession #693
    Log your observations : http://www.deepskylog.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
    What is the location of Parsamyan 21? Coordinates?
    Here you go Dragan -

19h29m00.72s +09d38′47.11′′
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard B View Post
    Here you go Dragan -

19h29m00.72s +09d38′47.11′′
    Thanks Howard