Thread: New member from Austin

Talking New member from Austin

Hi

I'm a new member, so I thought I should say hi and introduce myself like everyone else.

My name is Akarsh Simha. I'm from Bangalore, India, but currently live in Austin, TX, USA, pursuing a Ph.D. in Physics at the University of Texas at Austin. (No, I'm not a professional astronomer -- although I am aspiring to be a professional physicist. Decided to avoid turning a good hobby into work!)

I'm a member of the Austin Astronomical Society, and Jim Chandler introduced me to this when I asked about DSO forums.

My equipment is an 18" Obsession f/4.5 that I bought second-hand. My favourite eyepiece is a 10mm TV Delos that I recently acquired.

My interests mostly constitute faint fuzzies. But I admit to have never followed a systematic hierarchy through the catalogs. There is many a "Herschel 400" object that I've not seen, although I tend to focus on Hicksons and the like now.

I really liked the book on "Galaxies and how to observe them" by Dr. Wolfgang Steinicke and Richard Jakiel, and I've been trying to observe some of the objects listed there (such as the brighter Holmberg dwarfs, the IC 342 group members, some local group members).

So I'm looking to learn something interesting from this forum, and I'm quite sure I will given that some of the most experienced visual observers are here.

Regards
    Akarsh

I am glad you joined this forum, Akarsh.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Welcome to DSF Akarsh!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Welcome to DSF Akarsh!
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    faintfuzzies.com

Thanks for the warm welcome, Ivan, Jimi and Alvin! I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

Metchosin, B.C. Canada (very southern tip of Vancouver Island
    Welcome Akarsh. Here you will find many interesting observing targets/projects to pursue with that nice scope of yours. It was John T's right? Any idea of how he's doing?

Bill
    f/3.3 20" Super FX-Q Starmaster

Hi Bill

Thanks! Yes, that telescope was John T's.

John left Austin for Auburn last November. I haven't spoken to him since. He was actively observing until he was here, and I presume he's still observing back home now. In fact, last November, I went with him and his 25" down to this place near Devil's River State Park, TX to observe. I should call him up sometime soon.

I think he just withdrew his forum activity at some point...

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society