Thread: Has anyone seen the Vulture Head Nebula?

Has anyone seen the Vulture Head Nebula?

Hi

Has anyone seen the "Vulture Head Nebula" visually:
    http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...2/Main/4181606

If so, I'd appreciate some observation reports, to gauge whether or not this is within the realm of possibility with my 18".

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

It's been on my list for awhile, but never got around it. I don't believe I've run across observing reports, but I'm also curious.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

I'm curious, too. Even good images of this are relatively rare. I tried collecting data from the 'burbs with an 80mm refractor, and after 3 hours I can stack and stretch to the utmost and just see a noisy outline of it. This is a reflection nebula that for all but the largest scopes would show as dark, I'd bet. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Val

1a_Comb1_PSa_BW_nsrdc_smlr.jpg

I looked at this last night with the 30" f/4.5. Even allowing for the poor conditions (75% humidity, sporadic thin high cirrus clouds), it didn't show much. A large, irregular area of nebulosity bracketed by two bright stars was obvious, but the dark areas which delineate the eagle head were not detectable, only a faint uniform nebulosity. I plan to try it again on a better night.

Jim

Wow, Jim, that is really impressive. It is amazing that you were able to detect this object even.

Where was this observation made from? I was going to reserve this object for a visit to west Texas or something, but I don't know if I'll get to do that during the winter when Taurus is high up.

Regards
    Akarsh
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Quote Originally Posted by akarsh View Post
    Wow, Jim, that is really impressive. It is amazing that you were able to detect this object even.

Where was this observation made from? I was going to reserve this object for a visit to west Texas or something, but I don't know if I'll get to do that during the winter when Taurus is high up.

Regards
    Akarsh
    West Texas, Davis Mountains, 5200'. I looked at it again night before last, under better but not great conditions, and had the same result. Just a large, very faint nebulous area, no detail. I'll keep it on the current list and hope for a night of exceptional transparency.

Jim

Wow, so this is from some of the best skies. I think I will try this when I get a chance to get to that ranch you mentioned earlier.
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage