Thread: Thank you

Talking Thank you

(I didn't know what would be a better place to post this, so I just thought this forum seemed most appropriate.)

I've been using a lot of internet resources from various members of this forum over the past 4 ~ 5 years to find my way through the skies. It's really nice to now "talk" to them rather than just consume the content of their websites. I just want to use the forum to thank them for their wonderful contributions to the deep-sky observer community.

I'd like to especially thank Steve Gottlieb and his friends for their wonderful site "Adventures in Deep Space". This has been my favourite deep-sky website for a long time and I find myself going to it very very frequently. My observing partner in Bangalore introduced me to this site, and ever since, it has been a favourite and a go-to for any faint / challenging deep-sky object I want to know about.

I'd like to thank Rich Jakiel and Dr. Wolfgang Steinicke (if they're here) for their excellent book on 'Galaxies and how to observe them'. Many others have contributed observing reports to this book as well. I really found the observing lists in that book useful, and I've been trying to go through some of them. Particularly, I'm trying to work on the IC 342 group, the local group, and the Holmbergs (so far with little success)!

I used Reiner's website for his Hickson compact group list with descriptions. I found that useful to filter out some 30 odd Hickson groups that I thought would be interesting and fun to observe. Thanks, Reiner!

I'm yet to explore Alvin's observing guides, but I think his efforts are wonderful as many people have said and I'd like to try them very soon. So thanks in advance!

Thank you Dragan, Jimi, and others, for creating this forum, and thanks Jim, for pointing me here! And thanks everyone, for contributing to the discussions and being wonderful!

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Akarsh,

Thank you for the kind words!! We truly appreciate all feedback about Deep Sky Forum, especially the praise! DSF is becoming a real wealth of information for visual deep sky observers and we're very proud of that. We couldn't ask for anything more. And to be honest, the credit really goes to the members. Were it not for the members, DSF would have failed a long time ago.

So actually, we should be thanking you!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Quote Originally Posted by akarsh View Post
    I'd like to especially thank Steve Gottlieb and his friends for their wonderful site "Adventures in Deep Space". This has been my favourite deep-sky website for a long time and I find myself going to it very very frequently. My observing partner in Bangalore introduced me to this site, and ever since, it has been a favourite and a go-to for any faint / challenging deep-sky object I want to know about.
    Thanks, Akash, for the kind words. I just wanted to mention that although new articles are only infrequently added, the observing reports on "Adventures in Deep Space" are regularly updated. I'm planning to add soon some observations through Jimi's 48-inch that were made in early November and through my 24-inch from a couple of nights ago.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Steve, I don't think I've ever seen the Observing Reports page although I must've stumbled on some of the reports via Google. Thanks for the link! Your website really contains a wealth of information for the serious visual observer. Thanks for your work!

And Dragan, indeed, I agree, the members are the wealth of this forum. It's very nice that you were able to build up such a large base of active, knowledgeable members. As someone who has tried setting up various forums, I realize that this is rather difficult to achieve!

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society