Thread: Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Hi all.

I am recently retired and have been actively observing for the past ten years. Started with a 150 mm reflector on a EQ2, upgraded to a 300mm (12") collapsible Skywatcher Dob and recently added a 127mm ED refractor on a NEQ6 mount to the collection.
    I normally observe from suburban Melbourne in Australia, but have been to a couple of dark sky sites and star parties.
    I've always had an interest in astronomy, but only really started it as a hobby when my wife and daughters bought me my first telescope about 10 years ago.
    Looking forward to increasing my knowledge and interesting conversations

Clear skies

Rod
    Last edited by sarge; November 23rd, 2013 at 04:24 AM.

Hi Rod,
    welcome to the group. I live in Adelaide, South Australia and have been a member since Februray 2012. This site is an outstanding resource for the visual observer.

Cheers,
    JoeG

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Hi Rod, welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy it here!!

Quick question to you and JoeG. Will either of you be attending OzSky 2014? I know there will be several forum members, including myself, attending next March.

I'm just curious how many, if any, of our Aussie members will attending.
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Hello Dragan,

No, unfortunately, I will not be able to attend OzSky 2014. I already organise and lead 4 astronomy camps each year to the beautiful Flinders Ranges in South Australia. One of the camps next year coincides with OzSky 2014.

Our camps are held to small numbers (approx 18-22) to allow people to really get to know one another, and interact during observing sessions. We regularly observe in very steady and transparent 21.9 SQM skies.

We use 2 sites, one on the southern edge of the Flinders Ranges, about 350kms from home, and the other at the northern edge of the ranges, about 500 kms from home. In both cases, we are remote from any civilisation.

I'll try and put OzSky 2015 in my calendar. It would be nice to meet DSF members.

Cheers,
    JoeG
    16" F4.5 Dobsonian with ArgoNavis & ServoCat "Nino"

Dragan,

Sorry, but no I will not be attending. I wasn't aware of the event till today (just looked it up on the web). Sounds like a great time to be had, but I live in Melbourne Victoria which is a quite a long way from Sydney and Coonabarabran in NSW. Also I will be in South Australia at the end of March 2014 (actually not far from where Joe lives, in a little town called Goolwa). I have been to Coonabarabran previously - you will love the dark skies there.

Clear skies

Rod
    Sky-watcher Collapsible 12" Dob - Moonlite CR 2" focuser
    NG 127ED CF, Moonlite CFL focuser - NEQ6 mount
    TV 27mm Pan, TV 17mm Nag 4, TV 12mm Nag 4, TV 10mm Ethos, Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm TV 2" 2x Powermate
    Canon 60D, Pentax 12x50 PCF WP II Binoculars
    "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau