Quote Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
I suggest the following:
4) Don't use an observing hood in the winter. It will just guarantee fogging.
Using a hood in winter is just fine. I do it all the time. Takes a little practice but using a hood doesn't necessarily guarantee your eyepieces fogging over. Besides, just the heat of your eye and face can be enough to fog things over. What do you do then? Not observe?

The trick is to keep the eyepieces warm just enough and there are options to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
I can't see keeping eyepieces in a vest, because in cold weather that vest would be on the outside of 3 down parkas and my body wouldn't keep them warm at all. Plus, my eyepieces weigh at least 12-13 lbs, and I can't see keeping that much weight in pockets.
The stitching can handle it just fine so don't get hung up on weight. You're only placing one eyepiece in one pocket at a time (I would hope). The heaviest Televue EP (21E) is 2.25 pounds. That's well within reason for a pocket to handle. Its a static load so there is no issue whatsoever. With 3000 vests in the field, we have yet to have a stitching fail. Not one. That should say something. Load em up. Just don't do any handstands and you'll be fine.

Depending on air temperature, I'll sometimes where my vest underneath my outer garment. There is plenty of body heat to keep all your eyepieces toasty. Yes you have to zip and unzip each time but that's a small sacrifice pay to ensure warm eyepieces.

If that isn't to your liking, a handwarmer in the bottom of each pocket is plenty to help keep things warm.

Just takes some forethought to ensure fog free eyepieces.