Hi all,

Last summer I had the opportunity to purchase, what I believe to be, the ultimate travelscope. I bought it from German observer and fellow DSF member Marc Emde. We made the transaction over a weekend visit he had during a business trip to the states. I've had it out several times since July, including the Nebraska Star Party in August. Uwe Glahn, member and regular contributor here, also has experience with this very scope as he has had many opportunities to observe with it along side Marc - most recently being during a trip to Big Bend NP immediately after this years TSP. Uwe provided a fantastic sketch of Hickson 58 which he drew while observing with this very scope. His sketch can be found here.

At 8" f/4, its the largest aperture scope I know of that is capable of traveling with you as a carry on piece of luggage on the airlines. To make a long story short, the scope is nothing short of fantastic. So much so I wrote an article for Astronomy Technology Today magazine which can be found in this months issue. (Nov/Dec 2013) You can also read it here if you happen to not be a subscriber.

I have no relationship with Hofheim Instruments, though in full disclosure, I am trying my damnedest to get this scope easier and quicker to purchase here in the States. The scope makes an ideal travelscope and its 8" of aperture makes it a decent little performer on deepsky objects.

I just wanted to make the group aware of a great little product! I hope you're as impressed by it as I was the first time I saw it!

Thanks again Marc!