Thread: Object of the Week January 12 2014 - Abell 21, a large evolved PN in Gemini

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nice reminder Reiner. I revisit this rather bright Abell each year as many of us probably do on this list. Your tossing the gauntlett is motivating as I like to look at this object but have only fairly scant records of what I have observed of Sh2-274. My notes only discuss the brighter crescent with mention of the darker strands along that bright part. Time to revisit since my last 2010 record of this curious and semi-bright Abell. Thanks
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

Hi Reiner,

I had a chance to observe Abell 21 a few nights ago. Conditions were rather poor. Seeing was mediocre and transparency was low due to very high humidity and patches of fog in my vicinity.

Abell 21 was visibile even without filter, but the OIII filter enhanced the image a lot. I could see the crescent plus the interior filling. Also the large bar shaped exterior structure to the NW, that appears reddish in the NOAO image, was visible, as well as the reddish patch to the W. Both features did not seem very difficult to me. Furthermore I suspected some of the filamental structures NW of the nebula itself. Only the holy grail did not show up. I assume it is very difficult to observe since it runs parallel the a star chain.

Greetings
    Johannes
    25" f4 home built Dobsonian, Argo Navis, ServoCAT
    My astronomy website: Blick ins All