Thread: Two nearby irregulars in Canes Venatici

Post Two nearby irregulars in Canes Venatici

Among the interesting galaxies that I observed on my last outing with my 12" SCT was the curious pair of NGC 4190 and the much larger NGC 4214. Below are my observing notes with some data added in square brackets. The images are SDSS-III. The observations were made at between 125 and 375x.

NGC 4214 w 4190 to upper right SDSSIII crop.jpg
    NGC 4214 lower left, smal 4190 in upper right corner

NGC 4190 SDSSIII crop.jpg
    NGC 4190

NGC 4190 is very slightly elongated. Edges diffuse, no concentration. [In NED the NGC is a galaxy but identical with VV 104 and MCG+6-27-30, which have legacy classifications as galaxy pairs. VV 104a is the more massive southern “part of galaxy”, and 104b is the “star cluster” off its NNE edge. It was cataloged in a paper on super star clusters, and the galaxy is in the ROSAT X-ray sources catalog. The SDSS-III image shows the two parts embedded fully in a round halo, so the visual appearance is probably due to the two regions of star formation (VV 104a and b) that dominated the galaxy’s light but remained unresolved. Im pec, m13.4g, 1.52x1.17’, 22 Mly by redshift, 2.8-3.5 Mpc by Tully-Fisher and brightest stars.]

NGC 4214 zoomed SDSSIII.jpg
    NGC 4214

NGC 4214. Already at low magnification, within a larger halo a slightly curved string of at least three bright regions that are nearly touching each other is visible. At intermediate magnification, the bright region which is nearest to the brightest star in the field from the core is cleanly separated, comparatively bright, and has sharp edges. In the central core, a bright star is visible at this magnification. The bright region on the opposite side of the core is only slightly resolved from the core, and is fainter than the other bright region. [This galaxy is in Herschel 400. 25 Mly. 2.7-6.4 Mpc. 8.5x6.6’. m10.24. IAB(s)m. Star clusters and HII regions in this galaxy have been thoroughly mapped; the visually observable regions may correlate with the described super star clusters.]
    Last edited by Ivan Maly; March 13th, 2014 at 01:36 AM.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

For Ngc 4214 I have this observation from 4/16/2011 in 18" mag 21.35 skies 278x

4-5' size 2.5EL 160dPA Core slightly brighter that hints at a dot on NW end of the core area. AvilDir. [PostNote: Larger and some irregularity to NNW. I gave directions saying W was 9pm but my PA agrees so I think I meant 9pm is N which is correct]

I have no logged observation for Ngc4190

To me a really nice edge on galaxy in that immediate area is Ngc 4244 which I have visited with observations 3 times. It is very elongated and bright and here is my note from the best observation taken 4/6/2010 in 18"

Ngc4244 14' len 7EL 35dPA BIG edge on. NSCore. Only a bit brighter in core and dims as it goes along major axis. Favorite because it is bright and very elongated. Field star on most SW edge of the glow. A very dim FStar half way from center to the SW edge. [PostNote: Both of these show up on DSS]

In looking at the DSS I feel that 'field star' at far SW side may be some huge knot but am not really sure.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

Yes, there is a massive star association there, although for me two years ago in this 12" it was not fully resolved from the nearby faint field star that is in reality off the edge of the galaxy. Visually the star just peeked through a small detached patch of nebulosity there along the major axis. I need to re-observe that galaxy more carefully.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Very interesting objects!!
    I have listed them!
    Thanks for the observation-Tip

CS Hajü
    www.astromerk.de