Thread: Gravity, dark engergy..??

Gravity, dark engergy..??

It suddenly occurred to me today in the midst of mundane morning human activities, that this mystery of dark energy/matter, the overwhelming unmeasurable 'stuff' in the universe,(which equates to more then 85% of the total mass of the universe) and gravity which appears weak, but is EVERYWHERE, is the same DAMN THING! Is it only a coincidence that the mystery of gravity, that is the fact that is the least understood of all the major forces in the universe, and DE/DM, a relatively new concept in astrophysics, is equally not understood? There HAS to be a connection... Space-time must has MASS..but cannot be quantified within our current methods of measurement..
    Obsession 20" f/5 Dobsonian #388
    Parks 8" f/6 custom Dobsonian
    Televue oculars

Well, it's fun to speculate about such things, but without evidence that is all it is, I am afraid. Air is "everywhere" on the surface of the Earth, but it is not the same as, say, electromagnetic radiation.

Hello Rod, Adrian, et al;

I have decided that dark energy and dark matter don't exist. They are the "ether" of the 21st century. It is all a math calculation gone wrong. No, I don't have any proof...I said I decided. Listen to the scientists discuss this stuff. They say things like "we believe" so that it sounds like a discussion of philosophy. They are at the limits of what can be done with the largest telescopes and it is tough to gather definative evidence. I think that something will come along and knock down the house of cards, we shall see.

Clear skies;
    Steve Coe

Einstein hit the nail on the head when he showed that since gravity has "energy" then via e=mc2 gravity has mass and therefore gravity....all very circular but it seems to serve us well. I am not so sure we know how that applies on a universal scale. DM/DE seems to me to be a placeholder for a future revision of relativity (sorry Al). As a side item the terms are very marketable for publication.

Keith

I agree that DM has more than a whiff of fudge. But DE strikes me as a bit more elegant:

You've got the strong nuclear force at very small distances,
    which is eclipsed by the electro-weak force at larger distances,
    which is eclipsed by gravity at even larger distances,
    which is eclipsed by DE at truly large distances.

At each step the sign of the force flips. Who knows, maybe at inter-light-horizon distances (or whatever you call distances between observable universes) there's yet one more flip and the multiverse is actually a closed system....

Jeff.