Object of the Week, April 6, 2014
Djorgovski 2 = ESO 456-SC38
Sagittarius
Mag 11?
R.A.: 18h01m49.0s Dec.: -27°49'30" (2000)

I first learned of this once obscure globular cluster in July 1999 when Barbara Wilson posted an observation to IAAC, and Barbara apparently learned of it from Andrew Murrell of Australia via private communication. As I have just today returned from an observing trip to Australia, where I observed side-by-side with Andrew (again!) and other advanced observers over several nights, I thought it would be appropriate to revisit this surprisingly bright object once again.

Djorg 2 is an easy guy to find, being located virtually next door to both the very pretty NGC 6520 and perhaps the best dark nebula in the sky, B 86, aka The Inkspot. All 3 objects will fit into a field of view only 24 arc-minutes wide, so just about any low-power eyepiece will show them all. If you draw a line from the far side of NGC 6520 through the center of that cluster and also through the center of B 86, and then extend that line about twice that distance you will be right on top of Djorg 2, which resides dead center in a Hercules-type keystone of stars, see the photo.

DJORG 2.jpg

Djorg 2 is easy to see, and reportedly has been spotted in small refractors. It is amazing that it was not discovered until 1987! It is 3 to 4 arc-seconds across, and has been dimmed by about 8 magnitudes by interstellar dust. Think about this; adding 8 magnitudes by eliminating the dust would put it at mag 3... and Omega Centauri is mag 3.9... just sayin'... anyhow, Djorg 2 appears as a bright fuzzy spot, and at first glance no stars are resolved... but after a close look, perhaps a few stars around the edges are visible... at least, using a 30" telescope there are several stellarings that pop into view

As always, give it a go and let us know!