I've been trying to see this ghost for many years with absolutely no success - not a hint of nebulosity through 20 and 28 inch scopes under 21.95 SQM skies at 7400 feet altitude. I've tried OIII, UHC, h-beta and broad band filters to no effect except to become familiar with the star field and the chains of faint stars that try to mimic nebulosity. That, and I've enjoyed the nice open clusters all lined up nearby.

In short, I've given Abell 85 my best shot under great skies several times with only negative observations to show for my efforts. I'm not discouraged, and plan on continuing to observe until I do see some nebulosity here, but I've started to wonder if I'm using too large a scope. Would I have a better shot with a smaller scope and it's much wider fov than continuing to pound away with my 28 inch?

I'm sure there are a few observers here who have seen Abell 85 and I'd be interested in your observations, scope, filters and sky conditions that you used to see some nebulosity in Abell 85. Many thanks!