Thread: Object recommendations for TSP 2014 (with 18-inch aperture)?

Object recommendations for TSP 2014 (with 18-inch aperture)?

Hi

I'm excited about TSP 2014 round the corner; this is going to be my second TSP (provided the skies actually co-operate and justify going). I plan to take both 18" Obsession, and a small 6" reflector I bought off craigslist.

I'm looking for some interesting and/or challenging observing targets that TSP skies will do justice to. Particularly, any exciting peculiar galaxy recommendations will be much appreciated. Any resources to websites that have such lists will also be appreciated.

(I will also look into the OOTW compilation.)

Here's my wish list as of now, in the interest of sharing. Granted, some of these are ridiculously difficult for an 18", but I'm just going to try nevertheless.

Local group: Leo II, Leo A, Aquarius dwarf, Pisces dwarf, Fornax dwarf, Draco dwarf, Sculptor dwarf
    Holmberg: Holmberg I, VI, VII, VIII (those are the ones left on my checklist). Need to try IX with an 18" (saw it through Josh Wright's 25" at TSP 2012)
    Hickson 50, because if I stand a chance anywhere, it is at TSP.
    Counting the number of galaxies visible in Corona Borealis cluster
    Considering some Fornax dwarf globular clusters -- Hodge 5, Hodge 4 and Hodge 2.
    M 87's jet (seen it quite a few times with John Tatarchuk's 25", but never with an 18")
    Palomars 1, 3, 13, 14, 15 (those are the ones left on my checklist)
    Hoag's object

So my list mostly has challenging observations, but not very "interesting" ones. I'm looking for suggestions!

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Hi Akarsh,

A good source is the archive of past TSP advanced observing lists: http://texasstarparty.org/activities...ogram-archive/

Jim

Take a night and earn the observing pin as well.
    Preston
    8in Orion Skyquest XT
    10X50 Orion Resolux
    My blog updated once a month

Hey Jim

Thanks! I've seen those before, but for some reason, I never noted that those are some very very wonderful lists! Now that I look at them, I think I have enough and more to observe for TSP, even if the skies co-operate through all 7 nights!

And Preston, I sure will try to, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to do one of those challenge lists within a night! (Brr... some of those ultra-faint ring galaxies are scary for sure! I don't think I'll ever be able to see Hoag's object, for example, with an 18". BTW, has anyone tried? I tried last time and failed.)

Regards
    Akarsh
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Akarsh,

I'm sure that you looked at my site and found gobs of stuff to look for. Wide range of objects. Enough to keep someone busy for 10+ years.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Hey Alvin,

Yes, indeed. I've looked at your site and it has lots of extremely good stuff! Specifically what I'm looking for to work on at TSP, though, is some sort of a mixture, rather than directed observing programs to complete entire catalogs. I'll be sure to look at your site again and pick off of guides in a miscellaneous fashion.

Regards
    Akarsh
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage

I also have guides for this and last year's Advanced Observing Program. I would encourage you to take one or both programs. Not many people complete the AO program.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Akarsh,

There are several pins each year. There is a regular pin and a advanced pin. The regular pin is for smaller scopes the advanced pin is for larger scopes and has some interesting and at times tough objects. I have done the regular pins.
    Preston
    8in Orion Skyquest XT
    10X50 Orion Resolux
    My blog updated once a month

Unfortunately, I didn't have the patience to stick to a list as usual. I finished a substantial chunk of Larry Mitchell's Rings over TSP 2000 advanced list. That was a lot of fun. Anyway, I got some observing done -- got Draco dwarf, maybe Leo II, Pal 14, Pal 15, Hoag's object and VII Zw 466 on the 18". I also liked the planetary nebula in Barnard's galaxy from the MCG catalog, that was listed in the TSP 2000 list. Anyway, I had a semi-productive TSP. I do feel it could've been better, but well...

Thank y'all for the suggestions. The advanced lists were a good idea.
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage