NGC7026
PK 89+0.3

Cygnus

RA 21 06 18.5
DEC 47 51 08

Type: Planetary Nebula

Size: 40.0”

Magnitude: 11

(You come across some incredible information as you right up an OOTW)

July 6th, 1873. 141 years ago today, SW Burnham using his 6” Alvan Clark refractor discovered this weeks OOTW selection. Having a total of 6 NGC and 21 IC objects to his name, Burnham came upon NGC 7026 while measuring double stars from Dearborn Observatory at Northwestern University in Evanston Il , a northern suburb of Chicago. Burnham has been credited with compiling and cataloging 13,665 double stars, all within 121º of the north pole which have been published in his General Catalogue of All Double Stars. His catalog was the basis for what would become the Aitken Double Star Catalogue then the Index Catalogue and finally, the Washington Double Star Catalog, the worlds principle database containing 128870 systems.

NGC 7026 is an 11th magnitude bipolar PN nearly 6000 light-years away in Cygnus, just 5º northwest of Deneb and 1/3º NW of 63 Cygni. In my opinion, NGC7026 is one object in which visual observation offers more to the eye than photographs. In photographs, most times this object is completely washed out and over exposed, giving it a look of a bright rectangle. But in the eyepiece, you see a stunning PN!

The PN itself comprises of two symmetrical lobes oriented NE-SW separated by a very defined and apparent dark band running through its center. If you weren't careful, you could very easily confuse this object with a galaxy that contains a very dark dustlane. In scopes 10" and larger, the contrast between the two brighter lobes and its center dark lane provide an object that sort of resembles a cosmic cheeseburger, hence the nickname. How small a scope will reveal the burger? I revisited this object just last week under 21.41sqm skies using my 25” as well as John Spacks 18” f/4.2.

Not being the best note taker, here's what I scribbled:

25” f/5 At 450x, the two lobes are apparent as is the dark lane give the PN an obvious elongated glow. The NE lobe appears to be slightly smaller than the other lobe. Both lobes appeared considerably brighter near their centers than near their ends. The lobes just fade out

There you go, a cosmic cheeseburger of sorts. Its truly is one of those objects that resembles its nickname. This object was discovered with a 6” refractor, so its definitely an OOTW that most any observer should be able to see. And remember,

“Give it a go and let us know!
Good luck and Great viewing!"

DSS_7026.jpg
DSS Image

NGC7026.jpg
©Stephen R. Waldee