Thread: Object of the Week July 20, 2014 NGC 6572 The Curious Tale of...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm going to not discuss the color as to me it was like has been said, striking teal 'emerald' in the sky.

While I was observing this in near ideal 8000 foot skies in my 18" f/3.7 using 6mmDelos or 282x last July 22 I became puzzled by a very large mottled glow first noticed east of the object and extending out about 15'.

After being puzzled and not able to convince myself this was my imagination I discussed this with Jimi who was present and he said there was some sort of huge outer shell. I went back and tried to find the shell in other locations and although much dimmer the drop off of mottled very dim area to background black was noted in this observation. I have yet to have found any deep space photo that confirms my observation yet I don't think it was imagined, it drifted with the stars and scope movement made the edges of it very obvious to the east but less so in the dimmer other outskirts.

Here is my OR segment [notes in brackets are a number or direction translated from my relative direct observing notes]
    con: Oph fav: 5 cmt1: BlueRacquetball:
    NGC 6572 PK 34+11.1 PNG 34.6+11.8
    Plan 9.0p 11.0" 13.1 2a STE 18 12 06.4 +06 51 11
    12:20am 6mmDe 282x 0.7unit [1.6'] elongated same dir as two unit length stars [NS] 8mmDe 211x unfiltered shows 1/2 unit [1.15']. Very obvious teal glow of nebula with no filter. 6mmDe 282x with NPB filter on this tiny object we see perhaps 0.7 unit size [1.6'] elongated same as the two unit length stars [NS]. Using NPB filter 6mmDE I see upper right [E] of the field honeycombed with blotchy light/dark of 1/30fov sort of spot size going out 1.2fov [18']. This glow is strongest up and to the right. Jimi then told me this was a huge shell so I will carefully look for it all around. I see dimmer glow than from up and to right with only This glow maintains dark/light mottling as it moves with drift. As unit of measure [2.3'] is to use two lower right of 3 stars pointing to 4:30 in a line of 3 that is up and to right of the object but still in the field. North is mostly down to 5pm. Down and to right 1fov [15'], and also up and to left. Down and to left it is 3/4fov [11.2']
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

There's an interesting discussion of a possible outer halo to NGC 6572 in Stephen O'Meara's book "Hidden Treasures" with quotes from Jay McNeil

You can read the section here
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel