Thread: Object of the Week, August 3, 2014 - Seyfert's Sextet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Too bad the NGC A-E are all jumbled up with the Hickson A-F designations but for the purposes of this post so far all those stating simply the letter are referring to the Hickson letter designations. I'm only stating this so those who read this post don't get too confused.

Howard: It might be nice if the initial post added to the mini-table the Hickson letters to help ease this for those who read in the future especially in light of what Bob has just mentioned in some references being jumbled themselves. MegaStar seems to have the Hickson F member as Hickson79B and does not even say that Ngc6027 is even a Hickson member (which it is the official B).
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

I'm curious about something. I'm traveling and don't have my Hickson book with me, but here's Hickson's labeling of 79 from his 1982 paper. I fail to see an f component. Does anyone know whether Hickson revised 79 later, or, if not, when/where the f component label was added? It's pretty clear that in 1982 Hickson considered b to be one galaxy.

Hickson 79.jpg
    Jim

Obsession 30" f/4.5