Thread: Object of the Week Aug 17, 2014 – Minkowski 1-64 "the other ring nebula in Lyra"

Object of the Week Aug 17, 2014 – Minkowski 1-64 "the other ring nebula in Lyra"

M 1-64 (PN G064.9+15.5, PK 064+15.1)

Planetary Nebula
    RA: 18h 50m 2.1s
    Dec: +35° 14’ 36″
    Size: 17”
    Mag: 13.3v
    Mean Surface Brightness 10.3 Mag/arcsec2

When we think about PNe in the constellation of Lyra we remember the bright ring of Messier 57. But when we travel 2,3° NNW of M 57 we find another PN with very similar morphological characteristics – Minkowski 1-64.

Discovered in 1946 by R. Minkowski at his first discovery run based on objective-prism survey plates obtained by W.C. Miller with the 10-inch telescope on Mount Wilson the new PN was one of 80 objects which shows no continuous spectrum on the plates and showed typical PNe like forbidden lines through the spectrograph of the 60-inch or 100-inch.

The PN is easy visible with an 8-inch telescope as a round disk with uniform brightness bit good defined edges. From 12″ up the PN gets more interesting. The ring structure becomes visible and a faint star which sits directly on the N edge shines out the neighborhood of the PN. Bigger telescopes can show details of the ring structure. I never heard about the visibility of the CS but perhaps you can catch him?

Michael Paur, C 9.25

IAC

sketch: 27", 586x, no filter, NELM 7m+, Seeing III

“GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW”
    GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Hi Uwe

Very interesting object!! I observed this object last month with 16 ".

Min 1-64neg.jpg
    340-520x; fst 6m3; Seeing 2

CS Hajü
    www.astromerk.de

Dear Colleagues,

I have done picture of this PN in nerrowband (Ha, OIII) last year, see bellow. It si done using my Meade SCT 12" scope.

Clear Sky

PavelM1-64.jpg

Viewed this last night in Steve Gottlieb's 24" at assorted mags of 375 to 500 and use of NPB filter as well as unfiltered. (Thanks Steve). I was unable to detect a central star but this object has a curious property using an NPB filter. Unfiltered it is an easy find which was surprising for having the semi-obscure Minkowsky designation and not an NGC or IC designation. It should be an NGC or IC class object (IMHO) but perhaps just not known at the time of those catalogs.

The NE side was much more detectable with a sharper difference in the bright donut on that side. I had not seen a knot unfiltered but the brighter glow there was clear to me. At first glance it seemed almost disk-like but on inspection the donut property becomes apparent averted.

The interesting thing is putting in NPB filter all but kills the field star just off the north BUT highlights the knot in the NE as a stellar point in mid-donut band. Very interesting response to the NPB, give that a go too.

Nice object of the Week! Thanks
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5