Hi:

Well after some months looking for a good mirror blank in the 40-50" class with a reasonable price, I´m almost surrended.

I originaly try the search in Europe. An excelent suplier who has previously help me, a lot of times, with good pyrex or suprax blanks till the 32" diameters, has fault for this project. Is not easy for him provide me a 40" or even 50" mirror form the Schott sheets.

So this was the first dissapoinment to me.

I tried with other suppliers but was a waste of time.

Then I contact with USA suppliers.

Well it is not easy too. For a blank in the 40" and 2,5" thickness they was asking for a 30.000$ and absolut irreal conditions...

Other profesional telescope maker say that they use but can not provide a blank.

I was a little looky with the structural and sandwich blanks, but once again with irreal prices in the 20.000$ orfer and plus. This with no mention in my afraids and phantoms with this still unsual kind of bakns. As an experiment for me is too expensive. I have worked blanks in 32" and f/3 with a lot of problems with astigmatism and out revolution figure. Other blanks even thinner was done succesfully, but with astigmatic problems.

So, if somebody can help me for the search I will be so grateful.

Some forgotten mirror blank in the local astronomical club, or standar supplier comunication. I star to think that they are not willing to run on theirs owens for a hot small potato in Europe and only one blank.

I will provide more information of our project in next mail.

Thanks for the information.

Kind regards.

Víctor.