NGC6888 SH2-105

Cygnus

Emission nebula

20 12 01.0
38 23 00

Mag: 7.4

Size: 18' x 8'

Discovered by William Herschel in 1792, NGC6888 is an emission nebula approximately 2º SW of γ Cygni, or Sadr in Cygnus. Researching this object, I've learned that the host star had evolved to a red giant about 300,000 years ago. The extremely massive Wolf Rayet (WR) star began losing large amounts of mass via very strong interstellar winds. When these winds collide with the much slower moving matter ejected previously, the collision causes heating which excites the nebula causing it to glow. Many accounts online I found appear to claim that NGC6888 is a SN remnant. From what I can tell, it is not. Its host star WR136 will go supernova one day, but it has not yet. (If I am wrong, I encourage correction from fellow forum members.)

In a telescope the Crescent Nebula is an absolutely beautiful object. Observable in scopes as small as 6”, the intricate details of its nebulosity really comes into its own in larger apertures. I've tried a variety of filters and OIII filters seem to work best, with an UHC second. In my 25” with an OIII filter, the nebula is glows nicely with its western edge most prominent, though I have little difficulty seeing the object in its entirety. To me, NGC6888 almost has an “ear” or “jellyfish” appearance. (a jellyfish minus its tentacles) What makes this object so incredible in larger apertures is the amount of detail that is seen. The nebula is just full of beautiful wisps and tendrils that can keep you mesmerized at an eyepiece for quite a while, an absolute favorite that gets visited quite often!

So now that the sun is setting earlier, get out and take a look at this wonderful object as its well placed high in the sky a couple hours before midnight. If you've never seen it before, you're in for a real treat. And for those who have seen it before but some time has passed since you're last visit, I hope this weeks OOTW was a nice reminder of a fantastic object!

And as always....
“Give it go and let us know!
Good luck and great viewing!”

NOAO_NGC6888.jpgTom Miller _NGC6888.jpg