Thread: Okay... how about this one?

Okay... how about this one?

bratton1.jpg

I ran across this asterism or cluster on July 25, 1992 while observing with a C-8 in Robertville, New Brunswick. I misidentified the object as NGC7142 (which is nearby). Coordinates are RA 21 39 20, Dec +65 49. Plotted as four stars in the first edition of Uranometria 2000.0, as well as the all-sky edition, one of the stars being the variable V434 in Cepheus. DSS image above is 15'x15'. When I checked SIMBAD, it only gave a long list of single stars, carbon stars, eclipsing binaries... no clusters. I wrote an article about this group in Amateur Astronomy magazine (issue 52... 53... 54? I can’t remember which) called “My Star Cluster”. Shortly after, I received an email from a reader stating that the group was called Pothier 4. Entering “Pothier 4” in the DSS search engine comes up empty. Since Yann is a member of this group, perhaps he could identify this grouping as one that he’s identified previously? Is this group catalogued in DSH?
    Mark Bratton
    18" f/4.5 Litebox reflector (travel scope)
    22" f/3.3 SpicaEyes Slipstream reflector (LittleTime Observatory)
    25x100mm binoculars
    “The Complete Guide to the Herschel Objects” (CUP 2011)

Metchosin, B.C. Canada (very southern tip of Vancouver Island
    Hi Mark

I just looked through the DSH database of asterisms and yes this group is listed as Pothier 4.

Bill
    f/3.3 20" Super FX-Q Starmaster

Thanks Bill. I tracked it down as well, late last night
    Mark Bratton
    18" f/4.5 Litebox reflector (travel scope)
    22" f/3.3 SpicaEyes Slipstream reflector (LittleTime Observatory)
    25x100mm binoculars
    “The Complete Guide to the Herschel Objects” (CUP 2011)

Hi Mark,

I followed the same observing path as you did, in 1992 but I think to remember that the Uranometria 2000 charts fouled me at the time and I later got it right (about which star group was NGC 7142 in fact). I wrote with a Meade 8" SCT "at 145x, 10 stars between 11th and 13th mag. are homogeneously scattered upon a 5’x3’ area, elongated N-S; a mag.10 star is against the N border, one of mag.9.5 is 6’SE and 2 stars of 9th and 10th mag. are at 13’SW."

clear skies,
    Yann

This one seems to look like an 'M' however it could just as easily be an upper case Sigma.
    I had not noted it in any observation even though I have fairly detailed observations of N7129, N7133 and N7142. Guess it was a bit too far out of my 'region of interest'.

My oldest observation of Ngc7129/Ngc7133 is a bit comical as I had a vivid imagination and nammed the objects: 'ManOnChair'
    FYI: No .. had not been intoxicated in any way but it was 1:40 so maybe I was a bit in 'dream mode'.

My notes from 2009:
    Ngc7129_ManOnChair: 5' len NS. Guy sitting with head to South, legs out to East at 140dPA to SE. Nebula in his 'lap'.
    Last edited by Marko; October 6th, 2014 at 05:19 AM.
    Let me roam the deep skies and I'll be content.
    Mark Johnston
    18" StarMaster f/3.7
    12" Meade LightBridge f/5

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Ngc7129_ManOnChair: 5' len NS. Guy sitting with head to South, legs out to East at 140dPA to SE. Nebula in his 'lap'.
    Are you sure we're talking astronomy, Marko? ;-)
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel