Pisces

Ra
    01 43 01
    Dec
    +13 38 34

MAG V 11.4

Type SBsP (Polar Ring)

---------------------------------

NGC 660 is a rare type Polar ring galaxy in Pisces there are few examples of this type of galaxy compared to other types of galaxies. NGC 660 was found in 1784 by Wilhelm Herschel with is 18.7 reflector and is approximately 40 Million light years away.

NGC 660 2.jpg

So how doses the unusual galaxy form? Models of how polar-ring galaxies form offer two general formation scenarios: 1) a piercing merger between two galaxies aligned roughly at right angles, or 2) when the host galaxy tidally strips material from a passing gas-rich spiral and strews it into a ring. It is thought that NGC 660 was formed by #2 scenario because there is only one galaxy core in the system and there are no tidal streamers detected from a merger.

I look forward to reading about your observations of this Cosmic Rarity! I revisit It every fall and marvel at its unusual morphology and as always,

“GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW”
    GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

This is one awesome looking galaxy. Are those dust lanes that form the X? I just added NGC 660 to my must observe list. Until that happens I'm eager to read other's observations about this cosmic rarity. A great OOTW. Thanks for sharing.
    Clear Skies,

Mark Friedman
    Wheaton, IL USA

I like Polar Ring Galaxies Jimi and you pick one of the brightest (I don't count Cen A), thanks for the reminder.

I only have an observation with the 16" under very good transparency and with that aperture the bend structures of the polar ring were visible without problems. The dark lane NW of the core was also visible with averted vision. The "X" structure as the crossing dark lane from the ring could also be suspected as a very thin lane at the NE part.

16", 180x-257x, NELM 7m+, Seeing II
    NGC660.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2