Thread: Abell 9

Abell 9

I know this is an odd planetary and that I have failed to see it with my 22 and I see that Uwe has also failed to see it with his larger telescope. I have attached a recent image by David Ratledge that shows this is a PN in the hope that perhaps Jimi may have a go with the 48 and see if this object is at all visible. I know that David required over 4 hours exposure to get it and that Maurice Gavin failed to image it under worse skies. With a photographic mag of around 18.9 it may even be out of reach of Jimi :-)

Owen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes! This was one of the two Abells that I still have not seen yet. The other was Abell 5.

Let's hear it.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    faintfuzzies.com

So I was searching for this object last night, and having failed to see it, I Googled it. Right away Deepsky Forum popped up so I knew it must be tough LOL!! I used a 10 ethos with an Orion ultrablock filter and a 21 Ethos with a Denk UHC filter in my 25" Obsession. Neither gave any hint of this object. I was at a mediocre dark site that had a Nelm of 5ish and the seeing was terrible. Has anyone observed object since this post was last updated? I'm trying to figure out if it's one of those low surface brightness objects that would actually do better with less power, or one of those objects that I should really crank the power on? Looking for the winning combo of magnification and filter if if exists... ?
    Thanks

Bertrand LAVILLE has suspected it once with a 25" Obsession (http://www.deepsky-drawings.com/abell-09/dsdlang/en) : the best combination was 519x without filter. BUT it needs to be confirmed as Bertrand stated nearby stars could be contributing.

From the DSS color, Abell 9 looks like H-alpha emitting only but the Panstarrs G and R image are quite well balanced so there is at least some OIII waves coming !

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skyraider View Post
    So I was searching for this object last night, and having failed to see it, I Googled it. Right away Deepsky Forum popped up so I knew it must be tough LOL!!
    I love the reputation we have!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com