Thread: Object of the Week, March 1, 2015: The Magnificent Leo Triplet of Galaxies: M65, M66 and NGC 3628

Object of the Week, March 1, 2015: The Magnificent Leo Triplet of Galaxies: M65, M66 and NGC 3628

The Magnificent Leo Triplet of Galaxies: M65, M66 and NGC 3628

Object data:
    M65: RA 11h 19', Dec +13 05', size 9.8’ x 2.9’, mag 9.3
    M66: RA 11h 20', Dec +12 59', size 9.1’ x 4.0’, mag 8.9
    NGC 3628: RA 11h 20', Dec +13 35', size 14.8’ x 3.3’, mag 9.5

Most deep sky observers, at one time or another, have slewed their scopes to the famous Leo Triplet of Galaxies. Situated at an easy to locate spot at the “hind legs” of the constellation Leo, these galaxies are a popular star party target and one of the first amateur astronomer targets (at least the two more obvious members). But these popularity and “beginner deep sky observer stuff” tags have caused a great neglect to these galaxies by serious, advanced, “faint fuzzy” hunters. Yet, as we shall soon see, the Leo Triplet offers tons of observing challenges and pleasures for amateurs of all levels.

LT1j1aJ1aOOTW.jpg
    The Leo Triplet as photographed from my backyard!

Before dealing with observing the Leo Triplet, let’s first discuss the galaxies from an “astrophysics” point of view. The Leo Triplet is made up from Messier 65, Messier 66, and NGC 3628. The triplet is included in Arp’s catalog of peculiar galaxies as Arp 317 (amongst the category “galaxy groups”), while M66 is individually listed as Arp 16 (category “Spirals with detached segments”). All three galaxies are interacting spirals, located approximately 30 million light years from the Earth. As a result their shapes are somewhat distorted. Both M65 and M66 are type SB spirals. M65, which is approximately 60,000 light years across, appears relatively normal, with tightly wound arms, which though on close examination of high resolution photographs, appear warped. M66, at 50,000 l.y. across, is definitely warped, with several knots and one spiral arm that is significantly “heavier” than the others, somewhat reminiscent of a crab’s pincer. NGC 3628 is physically the largest of the three at almost 80,000 l.y. across. It is an unbarred spiral seen edge-on, with a broad dust lane splitting it in half. The edges of the galaxy though appear distorted and fan out. Even the dust lane appears to be skewed, further indicating interactions with its neighbors. In addition, a 260,000+ light year long tidal tail has been detected on very deep images. This tidal tail, along with the “peanut-shaped” central bulge of the galaxy, further reinforce the idea of galactic interaction between the members of the group.

Let’s move on now to what can be visually seen in this group. All three galaxies can fit into the wide field of view of most telescopes. M65 has a magnitude of 9.3, while M66 is the brightest of the three at 8.9. NGC 3628 is a bit fainter at 9.5, but, being larger both physically and visually, it suffers from a low surface brightness, thus it is the hardest to see. M65 and M66 appear on the southern part of the field of view, at right angles to NGC 3628 which (if seen!) dominates the northern part of the field.

Under clear, moonless skies M65 and M66 are detectable even in 10x50 hand held binoculars, and are immediately obvious in any telescope. NGC 3628, due to its low surface brightness, is much harder to detect. I was able to detect and hold steady with direct vision all three galaxies using my 22x60 tripod mounted binoculars. M65 appeared as a tiny spindle of light, while M66 was a tiny pear shaped glow. NGC 3628 was barely there as a thin ghostly glow. Very faint, but steadily held with direct vision. I was though unable to detect 3628 using hand held 10x50 or 9x63 binos under the same sky.

With NicosK’s 90mm f10.1 achromatic refractor I could again see straight away both M65 and M66, using a Scientific Explorer 30mm eyepiece. M65 was a quite distinct, long spindle of faint light with a brighter center, while M66 was more of an oval light with a very bright center. It took some effort to detect NGC 3628, but once located it could be held with direct vision – most of the time! Certainly NGC 3628 was easier in the 60mm binoculars than in the 90mm refractor. Moving to an 100mm apo refractor at 63X, all three galaxies appeared brighter, with NGC 3628 being more distinct than before, the dark lane being suspected at times.

My 150mm refractor offered significantly improved views. All three galaxies could be seen with direct vision, and could fit in the same field of view given by the 13mm Ethos at 69X. At higher magnifications, M65 could be seen as a long lens-shaped galaxy with a broad, considerably brighter center. M66 was slightly smaller but appeared brighter, with a very bright condensed core and some anisotropy, with some vivid brightness at the southern edge. NGC 3628 was significantly bigger in the eyepiece, but still much fainter than the other two galaxies. The most important difference though was in the visibility of the dust lane – despite the faintness of the galaxy, a broad dust lane was visible, even with direct vision.

Trip6INV1A1.jpg

Needless to say, my 18” Obsession gave far more spectacular views.

TrioINV1a.jpgTrio1a.jpg

M65 was very long, Iits length to width ratio approaching 6:1. It appeared significantly longer in the 18” at all powers compared to the smaller scopes. This may be attributed (I guess!) to the fact that the outer regions of the spiral arms became faintly visible. There was a bright, small (but not quite stellar) nucleus, which at high powers seemed to be surrounded by a dark “eyeliner” shape. I am not sure if I could see dark lanes or if it was just a contrast effect from the bright nucleus and the outer, tightly wound arms. This effect was visible even at the relatively low power of 66X, but was very definite at 159X and even at 275X. Photos do indicate a thin dust lane surrounding the nucleus.

M65n1A.jpgM65INV1A.jpg

With the big dob the appearance of M66 was also greatly improved. The galaxy assumed an oval shape with diffused edges. The central area was dominated by a very bright bar-like core running north – south, with a very bright nucleus. Again, the central area appeared to be surrounded by a dark lane. A distinct brightening appeared at the southwesterernmost edge of the galaxy – the big, crab-pincer like spiral arm visible in photos. At medium and high powers this arm assumed the shape of a club, or baseball bat. The dark lane surrounding the core appeared most distinct to the south, next to the “baseball bat”. Unlike M65, I can’t see a corresponding distinct dark lane in photos, so I presume that in the case of M66 the dark lane is a contrast effect.

M66n1a.jpgM66INV1a.jpg

Even with the huge light gathering ability of eighteen inches, NGC 3628 remains rather faint. Not excessively so, but certainly much fainter than the other two galaxies. What it lacks in brightness though, the galaxy makes up in detail. First of all it is huge, with a length of almost 15'. The western and eastern edges of the galaxy do appear to fan out exactly like seen in photos. But by far the most spectacular feature of this galaxy is the relatively thick dark lane. The dark lane appears very distinct, with a bit of scalloping at its edges, and is warped. Also, it does not run along the entire length of the galaxy: It seems to begin at the southern edge of the galaxy about 4’ from the eastern end, runs close to the southern edge, and exits again on the southern edge of the galaxy about 4’ before reaching the galaxy’s western end. Although the real core of NGC 3628 is hidden behind the dusky clouds of the dust lane, there is an increase in brightness north of the dust lane, for the entire length of the dust lane. This brightening was was readily detectable, and seems to be in disagreement with Barbara Wilson’s observation of “very evenly illuminated along entire length” as listed in Kanipe and Webbs’s “The Arp Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies”. By the way, 5 quasars ranging from the 19th to 22nd magnitude can be found around NGC 3628. These appear to be beyond the reach of my 18” but they could be game for those with really large scopes.

3628g1a.jpg3628gINV1A.jpg

So, the magnificent Leo Triplet of galaxies provides many challenges: What are the smallest binoculars to detect all three galaxies? What is the minimum aperture for spotting NGC 3628, and how much aperture is needed for its dust lane, or for details on and around the lane? What are the optimal magnifications for teasing out the subtle details of M65 or the club-like thick spiral arm of M66?

So, next time you are under dark and steady skies,
    “GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW”!
    GOOD LUCK AND GREAT VIEWING!
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Nice article for such a famous trio. I have only a sketch of all three with smaller aperture:

20x125 Bino, 3° field diameter; NELM 6m5
    M65_M66.jpg

With 16" I made some sketches several years ago:

M 65 - 16", 129x, NELM 6m5
    M65.jpg

M 66 - 16", 129x-225x, NELM 6m5
    M66.jpg

NGC 3628 - 16", 129x, NELM 6m5
    NGC3628.jpg

Rainer Mannoff made a wonderful mosaic sketch of all three members together with a 25". Simply wonderful in my mind.
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

A favorite field that I revisited with 20" at one of my last outings. Below is an older page from my journal; M66 here is of less interest but NGC 3628 is like my typical view, with a great asymmetry about the dust lane and a detached star cloud to the E. This is as seen through a 12" SCT, so W is left (mirror-reversed).

This is M65 through a 16" Newtonian:

And finally a later observation of M66 with the same Newtonian, which showed two starlike Hodge HII regions:

Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Another challenge with this group is the tidal tail in NGC 3628.

NGC 3628.jpg

On the end of the tidal tail is a brighter knot that I have viewed several times also have seen other pieces of the tail.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Nice article. Now if only the weather does us a favor soon when the moon departs, it would be great to do some more observing of the Leo Triplet.

I am going to attempt NGC3628 with a 60mm f5.5 Doublet APO and revert with the results of my attempt.

Slight correction to the eyepiece used in my achro:

I used a Edmunds Scientific 32mm RKE eyepiece. FYI this eyepiece has a TFOV similar to a Nagler 31mm (despite it being listed as having an AFOV of 68 degrees) but at less than a 3rd of the weight and it is a modified Erfle design. At f10.1 no significant aberrations detected in 95% of the field so a plus in terms of balancing the telescope.
    Takahashi FS-128
    Astro-Physics Stowaway 92 (paid the deposit!)
    Sky-Watcher 72ED
    Borg 55FL

uperb sketches Uwe and Ivan! And I thought that I had spent enough time on the triplet! One question for both of you: In your drawings of 3628 the dust lane appears straight, while the warping in the lane was the first thing I noticed when I detected the lane in the 18"

Jimi, no comment about your observation of the tidal tail! I mentioned the tidal tail as an astrophysics "aside" and here is the observation! I am amazed!

Nicos thanks for the correction! For some reason I was thinking and not ES!!!!
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

It's a fine observation of the dust lane in your sketch, Rolandos, especially the curving to the S on the W side and exit to the SW there, not at all aligned with the major axis. A fainter (i.e. less contrasty) branch of the lane, which seems to continue it more equatorially, deviates there from this thicker branch and actually curves slightly N. I see the branching point in Uwe's drawing. In addition to being a far cruder sketch, mine is an "overmagnified" (230x) view with a smaller aperture. So only the central portion of the dust lane is visible. Actually, my records from thay night say: "The full extent of NGC 3628 was visible on its eastern end, and the visible fragment of the disk there even displayed a trace of the dark lane continuing into it." This is the opposite end of the galaxy from the one where the branching occurs. This E-most segment of the lane seems equatorial and curves N relative to the major axis, symmetrically to the faint branch on the W end. It doesn't curve N in your sketch, but that should be the view with the magnification, etc., that you noted. Always informative to compare!
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

Rolandos,

i didn't notice the warping directly. But the slightly offset southern brighter portion could be a indirectly sign of it.

And thanks for the input of Jimi. I knew about the tidal but never heard about any observation. Sounds like I have to revisit the galaxy with bigger aperture.
    Clear Skies, uwe
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Obvious in the same finder field and in my mind forming a quadruplet with them is NGC 3593, which is like a compact and upside-down version of the central part of 3628. 20" from a dark site show a dust lane near the N edge.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

"What is the minimum aperture for spotting NGC 3628"

Last night using a handheld NL Pure 12x42 binocular, NELM around 6m5: very weak but visible as an elusive thick streak (not permanently but safe). I guess under alpin skies minimum aperture reduces to somethin around 32 mm. Uwe?

btw: very easy in 72mm Apo under the same sky, by direct vision. Even this aperture makes this a fine triplet!
    Last edited by Norman; April 5th, 2021 at 10:38 AM.
    12" f/ 4,5 - tuned Sumerian Optics Dobson - Nauris main mirror
    - who stands the rain deserves the sun! -

I guess under alpin skies minimum aperture reduces to somethin around 32 mm. Uwe?
    30mm and a low mountain range Norman. I wrote: 8x30 Nikon EII, NELM 6m0+:
    very faint but sure and repeated popping as a 3:1 streak with averted vision
    Clear Skies, uwe
    Germany

27" f/4,2

i knew it - good job :-)
    12" f/ 4,5 - tuned Sumerian Optics Dobson - Nauris main mirror
    - who stands the rain deserves the sun! -