Thread: Delos v Nagler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Faith,
    The Deloi, and well as the Ethoi, are the next evolutionary step in eyepiece design. Having said that, they completely outperform all Nagler eyepieces, especially in areas of contrast, sharpness, and most importantly, (for me anyway) neutral color balance. Their uncanny, really..The shorter focal length Ethoi routinely outperform longer focal length Naglers on planetary subjects rendering a sharper, more contrasty view of which, seems to buck common logic that increased magnifications lead to softer images due to primarily atmospheric conditions. Stars are truly white, not off white..planetary color and hue is far more detectable. Deep sky objects are sharper/well defined, and the background sky is BLACK..allowing you to see faint color in DSOs. The Deloi is essentially a more affordable Ethos with a smaller field, and greater eye relief and imo, and from preliminary testing of one Delos eyepiece, even FURTHER outperforms an Ethos EP in areas of contrast and sharpness.

If you can live with the smaller field, yet appreciate the longer eyerelief, and greater performance in areas aforementioned..by all means pick up a few Deloi..they are fantastic!
    Obsession 20" f/5 Dobsonian #388
    Parks 8" f/6 custom Dobsonian
    Televue oculars

Faith,
    Having done field comparisons, I agree with Adrian. The Delos eyepieces, if you can afford them, would be "lifetime" eyepieces. You now will have 17.3, 10, and 6mm to pick among. Alvin Huey, a consummate observer, says they even slightly outperform the Ethos eyepieces when it comes to seeing faint targets.
    Whereas there are other characteristics of eyepieces that are as important as the pure ability to see faint targets, that certainly speaks highly of them.
    Add to that the fact you will almost never have to clean them because you will never get close enough to the eye lens to accidentally brush your eyelashes on the lens, and they would appear to be the nearly ideal eyepiece type. [For me, a little narrow of field, but compared to your mentioned eyepieces, quite wide of field].
    You will also find that, as I did, as the eyepiece field gets wider, you don't have to do as much changing of eyepieces to frame the objects. An eyepiece that has a high enough power to examine the object also has a wide enough field to find it. I've often said to friends I observe with that I could be reasonably happy with just one eyepiece--the 13 Ethos--for that reason.
    As for the Paracorr, since star images at the edges will be essentially the same as in the center when using one, you will be able to identify all sorts of faint targets at or near the edge of the field that you now have to bring to the center to identify. Close double stars look like doubles at the edge instead of small planetary nebulae. And very faint stars will be more visible in the outer 50% of the field because they will not be smeared to invisibility. Countering intuition, adding the extra lenses of the Paracorr seemed to make fainter targets easier to see instead of harder. Plus, the Paracorr essentially parfocalizes your eyepieces, which is a convenience. Recommended. But remember, it's the price of an expensive eyepiece, so I can understand the budget issues.