RA
12 51 00
DEC
-06 23 34

Mag 11.9B

Type
SB(s)cd

-------------------------------------------------------------------
NGC 4731 is one of those galaxies I often ask "why is this galaxy not better known?" It is well placed just a little North of the famous sombrero galaxy (M104) and was discovered by William Herschel on April 25th 1784 (sweep 207) and he recorded “bright, large, little brighter middle, irregular figure, resolvable (mottled)." To me it looks like another cosmic crash galaxy and one that Chip Arp could have added to his Atlas of Peculiar galaxies but missed. I observed this peculiar cosmic crash galaxy twice this week and noted the bright bar in the center and numerous knots in the S shaped arms "What A View"!!!

Tom NGC 4731.jpg

If you are curious as how this unusual galaxy got twisted in this unusual shape you can look 10.4' South of NGC 4731 and you will find the peculiar galaxy NGC 4731A which is at nearly the same redshift as the larger NGC 4731 and is distorted itself and in interaction with the larger galaxy. One day in the distant future the two dancing interacting galaxies will merge into one galaxy.

NGC 4731A.gif

Next time you are looking in South Virgo near the Sombrero be sure to check out these unusual galaxies locked in a cosmic ballet and,

"GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW"