Thread: Object of the Week April 26, 2015 - Arp 296 and Arp 299: An Extragalactic Mess in the Big Dipper

Object of the Week April 26, 2015 - Arp 296 and Arp 299: An Extragalactic Mess in the Big Dipper

Arp 296 and Arp 299: An Extragalactic Mess in the Big Dipper

Arp 296 (data for PGC 35345):
    PGC 35345: RA 11h 28.83' Dec +58 34.3', mag 15.7

Arp 299 (center of VV18)
    VV18: RA 11h 28.52' Dec +58 33.8', mag 11.8

During the northern hemisphere’s spring evenings, the familiar “Big Dipper” asterism dominates the zenith. And is here that we encounter today’s OOTW, with several galaxies representing two entries in Halton Arp’s famous catalogue, but which at the same time lie in a confusing galaxy identification mess, AND do show a somewhat messy appearance in the eyepiece!

But let’s tackle these issues one by one. In his “Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies”, Arp has assigned number 296 to a “spiral connecting to another galaxy with long filaments”, while Arp’s 299 was assigned to a “Double Galaxy” next to it.

arp296small.jpgarp299small.jpg

Original Arp Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies photos from http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/

Unfortunately, Arp in the original paper assigned no galaxies to the “Double Galaxy” but assigned NGC 3690 and IC 694 to Arp 296, the galaxies connected by long filaments. Very soon both professional and amateur astronomers realized that there was something amiss. Now we do know that Arp 296 in reality consists of 16th magnitude PGC 35345 and 18th magnitude SDSS J112850.64+583336.7. Things though were not as clear regarding Arp 299. There is no doubt that Arp 299 consists of NGC 3690 and IC694. But which is which? In addition, several sources associate Arp 299 with THREE galaxies, and in the Vorontsov-Velyaminov (VV) catalog, Arp 299 has three constituent galaxies (VV18 a, b, c). Running some search in the internet showed that there is still a lot of confusion about which galaxy is which.

The VV catalog splits NGC 3690 into components A and B, while VV18c is the third galaxy IC 694. Our own Steve Gottlieb, in his NGC 3690 entry in the NGC/IC project (http://www.ngcicproject.org/) agrees with this interpretation and this is the line I will follow.

Modern deep photos of the region do show well (much better than in the original 200-inch Palomar Observatory photos of the Arp Atlas) the turbulent chaotic mess of the region. The region as imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope is really stunning:

heic0810as1.jpg

http://www.spacetelescope.org/static...heic0810as.jpg, while this photo by Astroimaging Southwest presents nicely the positions of the Arp 296 and Arp 299 components: http://518241.xobor.com/g9p54-Arp-and.html. The Deep Sky Survey photo has overexposed the region of NGC 3690 but Arp 96’s components are well visible.

DSS296.jpg

In the astrophysical context, the Arp 299 components (which are approximately 134 million light years away) seem to have recently gone through major interactions, resulting in major bursts of star formation, while a rather large number of supernovae have been seen in the system (a total of eight over the last thirty years). A January 8, 2015 JPL release suggests that two black holes exist in the heart of the two galaxies comprising NGC 3690, one of which is a real monster (http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4435). Very little data though exists regarding the astrophysics of the galaxies comprising Arp 296.

So, now that we have found some reasonable order in the naming chaos of Arp 296 and Arp 299, what can be seen visually?

The two Arp systems can be readily located within the ”dipper” part of Ursa Major (see attached map).

A299 finder.jpg

When I located the correct field with my 18” I was surprised on how obvious the central part of the Arp 299 was, even at low power. I have observed it twice; the first time the seeing was so and so, but on the second occasion the seeing was relatively steady. At 275X I was able to readily detect the central glow of the Arp 299 system, which appeared to have an upside-down heart shape when viewed with north up. A much brighter double nucleus appeared near the center of the galaxy conglomerate, this central part being somewhat rombus-shaped. I did not see the 16th IC 694 nucleus which should be slightly NW of the 3690 nucleus. I must admit though that during my observations I was under the impression that IC 694 was actually the western lobe, so I did not specifically look for it.

Arp 296 was much harder. Nothing was detected at first, but then, at 275X, I could locate a very faint round patch of even surface brightness that continuously crossed the boundary between direct and averted vision. Needless to say, only PGC 35345 was detected. The 18th magnitude galaxy was invisible and I suspect it will need more than 25 inches to be detected. As for the filament connecting the two galaxies, it will probably require Jimi’s 48 inches or even more to be detected!.

A299W1a.jpgA299B1a.jpg

I did not have the chance to observe these galaxies with a smaller scope. Arp 299 should definitely be visible in much smaller scopes. I am sure it will be visible in 8 inches and under good conditions in smaller scopes. I plan to revisit them with my 6” during the next new moon period.

So, as always, “GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW”
    Last edited by RolandosCY; April 26th, 2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

I didn't know about that confusing detail in Arp's Atlas Rolandos, thanks for that interesting detail.

I have a observation/sketch with my old 16".

16", 360x, NELM 6m8, Seeing III-IV
    NGC3690.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Here's a labeled SDSS image including all the various VV designations (there are 5 total). These notes are from May 2012 in Jimi's scope --

At 488x, the southwest component (VV 118b) of NGC 3690 appeared as a very bright, elongated, irregular knot of high surface brightness. Contains a very bright, quasi-stellar nucleus. The northeast component (VV 118a) is the larger of the merged interacting pair and appeared bright, moderately large, ~1' diameter, small very bright core. A very low surface, asymmetric halo extends on the northwest side of the bright pair. The southwest component is generally misidentified as IC 694, which is described below.

VV 118d/e, probably HII regions, are just 45" NW of NGC 3690 (just outside the halo). Occasionally an extremely faint and small glow popped in this position, 6"-8" diameter. IC 694, ~1' NW of the bright pair, was easily visible as a fairly faint, slightly elongated glow, 15"x12", weak concentration.

PGC 35345 (the brighter component of Arp 296) lies 2.6' NE. It was also a direct vision, fairly faint glow, fairly small, oval 4:3 NW-SE, 24"x18", increasing to a very small brighter core. I didn't look for 18th magnitude SDSS J112850.64+583336.7, the extremely faint companion 2.1' SSE.

NGC 3690 field.jpg
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Must go back

Very interesting object.

My notes from 2010 with a 10 inch state that structure was hinted at with high power.

So I must go back with the 16 inch and try to see the heart shape!

Thanks for the inspiring post.

Mark
    Based in Bristol in the UK

20" Darkstar Dob

Arp 299 was readily visible in my 6" refractor last night, though it was quite hard. A rather rectangular low brightness object with a slight brightening on the north side. I believe that it should be visible in a 4" refractor.

Arp299W1a.jpgArp299B1a.jpg
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

I have an observation from the 2010 GSSP:

"Excellent start to the evening - two Arp's in the same high power FOV. Arp 299 is the brightest and is obviously two galaxies well into a merger. A third galaxy is nearby and evidently is a part of 299 - there certainly seems to be a big streamer going in its direction. Arp 296 is much fainter, with the faintest listed at mag 18.0. It needs averted vision to be detected, but only as a small patch - no long streamers. 408x, 21.69 SQM."

Arp296_Arp299_crop.jpg Arp296_Arp299_cropinvert.jpg
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine