Thread: DSA is taking a break!

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar

DSA is taking a break!

Just wanted you folks here at DSF to be the first to know. I've copied and pasted our announcement from our homepage. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to write. I make it a point to specify that DSF will continue as normal.

Here's the announcemnt....

5 years and three thousand customers in nearly 30 countries. That is what we’ve accomplished in our short time introducing and supplying the visual astronomer with one of the most effective observing tools available against light pollution. We are very proud of this accomplishment and will cherish all the positive feedback we have received and great lifelong friends we have made over the years. With that said, it is with heavy heart that we make this announcement; once we deplete our current inventory, we will be suspending DSA for an unforeseeable amount of time. Between a growing family (2 boys ages 1 & 3), our regular day jobs and rising manufacturing costs, we felt it was necessary to take a hiatus and reevaluate things at a later date. As a note: this will not effect DeepSkyForum. DSF will continue operations as normal. As of today, July 25th, we have limited stock of all of our vests, including gray and pink. (Neither of which are available on the website. If you would like either, please contact us) We have already sold out of black and gray observing hoods. All that remain in our observing hoods is white. We also have astronomical printed Camp Shirts in Large and XL available. Anyone that has been to our NEAF booth or any starparty we’ve attended, will know these beautiful custom shirts. For more info, images or pricing, feel free to write.
    So, thanks for everything!! We hope you have enjoyed our products as much as we’ve enjoyed making them!! We will see you all again soon!
    -Dragan & Anja
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

A little late I know but you wouldn't happen to have any of your observing vests still laying around? I would be very interesting in acquiring one or something like it.

No. Unfortunately we are completely out of stock. I do know there is a vendor in Russia selling a copy of our observing hoods - not the vests. Their name escapes me at the moment. I ordered one a while back and its of decent quality. I'd recommend it as a replacement to ours. Give Google a search.

Thanks for asking though
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

I think they do both now. it is http://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

Owen

Ah! Interesting. As long as the quality is there I'm glad someone else took the reigns.
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

I ordered one of the hooded vests from the link Owen provided. Thanks Owen! I will report back when it arrives.
    -Lawen
    450mm F/4.5 dob
    300mm F/5 dob
    150mm F/8 dob
    80mm F/5 refractor
    8X56 binos

I received the vest about two weeks ago. It took nearly a month to get here. The owner was very responsive to questions and provided tracking data. The package was well wrapped and came through fine. I might have sized some of the pockets differently but it's not much of an issue. The largest pocket holds my 24mm Meade UWA, which is my largest, and only two inch, eyepiece. The other pockets suffice to hold any of my other eyepieces. The hood is oversized and blocks light very well. It takes some getting used to as far as draping the hood against the scope. I keep getting the upper most part of the hood caught on the focuser. For $90 all in, I felt it was a little pricey but the vest adjusts for size and is rugged enough that it should last a lifetime. All in all I am pleased.
    -Lawen
    450mm F/4.5 dob
    300mm F/5 dob
    150mm F/8 dob
    80mm F/5 refractor
    8X56 binos

Excellent. I hope it's a worthy purchase. Vests truly do make observing a better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkswitch View Post
    I received the vest about two weeks ago. It took nearly a month to get here. The owner was very responsive to questions and provided tracking data. The package was well wrapped and came through fine. I might have sized some of the pockets differently but it's not much of an issue. The largest pocket holds my 24mm Meade UWA, which is my largest, and only two inch, eyepiece. The other pockets suffice to hold any of my other eyepieces. The hood is oversized and blocks light very well. It takes some getting used to as far as draping the hood against the scope. I keep getting the upper most part of the hood caught on the focuser. For $90 all in, I felt it was a little pricey but the vest adjusts for size and is rugged enough that it should last a lifetime. All in all I am pleased.
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com