Thread: Pease 1. Planetary in M15

Pease 1. Planetary in M15

Has anyone ever visually observe Pease 1? I made an attempt using a 16" Meade Newtonian reflector with a Baader 13mm eyepiece in a 2X Barlow and a Lumicon O3 filter. I think I might have seen it. Not really sure. If so, it's one of those that fades in and out of view, and pops back in with averted vision.

Yes I have seen it with my 20" at high magnification using OIII.

Clear skies, Wouter

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    I have in my old 20" as well as my current 25". Highpower, steady seeing with an OIII are essential. I do know of reports of it being seen in scopes down near 12" so your 16" isn't impossible.
    Using the 13mm with a barlow (approximately 280x) should put you in range of seeing it but I find 350x or higher is better for me.

Here is a great link. Look it over as it has some great finder charts and tips to help locate Pease 1.

http://messier.seds.org/more/m015_ps1fc.html

Good luck!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

http://www.deepsky-archive.com/record.php?id=7095

Here is my drawing. Sorry only in finnish. I am telling something about how I trained time after time to find and locate the precise location. I also made few versions of blinking tool for OIII. And then I finally managed to confirm the observation. I think that this is among those objects which are very difficult to get detected for the first time. Afterwards they appear to be much easier to catch again.

Likewise, with a 20". UHC at 625x. My notes: "By letting M-15 drift across the field, I was able to blink it. Most asterisms and guide stars dimmed out, (with the filter) making it difficult but could see it with direct vision."
    15" f4.5 Obsession Classic
    4" f8.6 Televue 102

I definately have seen it in my 12" Lightbridge and also in the 12" LX200 of forum member Victor (Clear_Skies). With an OIII filter only and needed to blink it in order to confirm it's position.

Quote Originally Posted by theritz View Post
    ... and also in the 12" LX200 of forum member Victor (Clear_Skies). With an OIII filter only and needed to blink it in order to confirm it's position.
    I can attest to the fact that I have never observed Pease 1. It is my strong belief this PN is out of reach op scopes 12" and smaller. Hence I did not include it in the CSOG constellation editions.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

Here are two sightings from experienced observers through a 10" --

Jay Freeman and Wes Stone.

Through my 18-inch, it's necessary to have a very detailed finder chart, use high power to identify the clump of stars that contains Pease 1, and blink with an OIII or narrowband filter as the planetary is essentially stellar. But I can't vouch for a much smaller scope.
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; August 25th, 2015 at 08:30 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

When Victor says he did not see it, than it means I didn't. I place less trust in my mind than his logging of observations :-)
    Which begs the question: what the heck did I see. We will never know.

Back on topic, sorry.

Smallest aperture in my experience is 16" under good seeing. Knowing the location and the blinking effect makes it much easier to catch the PN. Only visible with [OIII] blinking (star), never as an (laminar) object itself.

16", 515x, NELM 7m+
    M15_Pease1.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

I tracked down Pease 1 with Tom Osypowski and Chuck Dethloff at the Oregon Star Party a week and half ago with my 28 inch. Tom walked me through the asterisms to get to the right spot while I looked in the eyepiece, and then I blinked it with an NPB and OIII filters to confirm. Pretty easy - great to have a tour guide explaining how to find the right spot without having to pull away from the eyepiece!
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

As I posted, I have yet to observe PN Pease 1. Largest aperture used in attempted observations is *only* a 12". Until reading posts on this forum, in this topic, I had not heard of anyone catching it in a scope of similar aperture. Well, I did speak to a few... who described it as "clearly a planetary, bright and easy, not unlike NGC2438 (...)". The same folks who describe Mayall II in Andromeda as "a surprisingly large, bright, resolving globular". Hence my bias. Let me emphasize that I did not intend to categorically state that Pease 1 can not be observed in smaller scopes when and where conditions are excellent.
    The post I replied to was a claimed observation using my telescope and therefor, made in my presence. It deserved rectification.
    That being said, I am doing some last minute planning for a trip to my dark sky site in southern France. Could be under the stars by Monday. Now using a 14" SCT, I will definitely give it another try.
    Last edited by Clear Skies; September 5th, 2015 at 03:38 PM.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

In July 2014 I saw Pease 1 using my 28" f/3.6 Starstruture. I used a 3mm-6mm Televue zoom (427x to 854x), switching between the various powers. It only took about 10 mins to locate and verify it. Critical to doing this was using the article "Off the Beaten Path with Steve Gottlieb: Deep Sky Challenges for Early Winter" which includes a useful image by Stan Moore. I also used some images of M15 (off the web) for determining the star pattern in the immediate vicinity of Pease 1. And I blinked with a UHC filter.

Recently I succeeded with my 12-inch Dobsonian at 505x magnification with O-III filter.

According to this website, there was a sighting with 8 inch aperture: http://messier.seds.org/more/m015_ps1obs.html

It took me 3 attempts to find the planetary nebula. I tried it for the first time 6 years ago. Back then I printed the very helpful finder charts/photos from Doug Snyder's website, which seems not to be online any more. However, it is still archived here: http://messier.seds.org/more/m015_ps1fc.html

A few weeks ago at a star party in southern Germany, I did the star hopping without success (seeing was bad due to moving clouds). But this helped me in locating the nebula within 15 minuts at my most recent attempt. There was this "small clump" described by Doug, and by using the O-III filter, stars were dimmed down or disappeared, while one object remained there: Pease 1.

Clear skies,

Robin

Someone on Cloudy Nights has reported seeing Pease 1 with an 8" telescope with perfect seeing, excellent transparency, and lots of patience.
    http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/43...on-of-pease-1/