Thread: Skytools Pro 3 and Windows 10 Issues

Skytools Pro 3 and Windows 10 Issues

So I just got an HP Spectre (a two in one) which runs the Windows10 platform and downloaded the version of Skytools3PRO that I ran on my old computer that had the Windows 7 operating system. Everything seems okay until I go to the telescope view or even the interactive atlas. There the object is not centered and the display is "missing parts" or has "displaced the object". I went on the skyhound website and per their recommendations to fix this problem I did two things:
    1. I disabled display scaling on high DPI settings, which had no effect.
    2. I then changed the display text size. All that did was make the lists to small to comfortably read, but the Atlas issues remained.
    Any ideas how to get it to work?

Thanks

Skyraider

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Hey Jason,

Have you tried emailing them directly? That's probably your best best.

I've been hesitant about upgrading to 10 just for reasons like these. I'm not sure what it would do with my Megastar so I haven't done the change over just yet. Soon enough I will give it a try.
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

I did. The reply was to make sure I had the latest driver and was also directed to there website, which advised me to lower my text size. I did not follow up on the possibility of needing to install a more up to date driver, I did however lower the text size (to 100% as per their recommendation) which does make the atlas work properly... but good luck reading the observing lists and notes... they are SUPER tiny font size now.

Hi Dragan
    I updated to Windows 10 on three computers (on deskside and two tablets) and Megastar 5 works fine on all of them (actually so does SkyTools 3)

Owen

Owen,

Thank you! That is good to hear
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Quote Originally Posted by obrazell View Post
    Hi Dragan
    I updated to Windows 10 on three computers (on deskside and two tablets) and Megastar 5 works fine on all of them (actually so does SkyTools 3)

Owen
    Owen,

I need to ask. How do you have Megastar working on a tablet? I assume it's a windows tablet?
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Yes it is a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I don't believe you can make it work on an Android tablet as it is Windows code compiled for x86 architecture.

Owen

Yeah, I assumed as much. I knew it wouldn't work on Android but its nice to know it will work on a Windows based tablet.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by obrazell View Post
    Yes it is a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I don't believe you can make it work on an Android tablet as it is Windows code compiled for x86 architecture.

Owen
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

I also have a SurfacePro 3 and would like to use my copy of Megastar on it but can't make it work. I assume you use an external drive to use the CD? I've never heard of the possibility of downloading it. I've used it on my older Sony Vaio laptop but it's so slow I almost can't use it now. Would like to use my SurfacePro 3 but need some advice to make it work.

Hi Jason
    not sure what you are doing but basically I just copied my orginal installation from the old PC to the new one. Megastar does not use the registry per-se and once I had created a new shortcut and resorted the tool bars it just works. Not sure why you would be wanting the CD. As you say the Surface Pro does not have an in built one but you can get external ones if you need to use a CD. Do you use a CD with your current installation?

Owen

Jason,
    I'm not sure if this will help with your Surface Pro 3 problem, but you might want to look into changing the resolution settings. So I was able to get my SkyTools3PRO to work on Windows 10. I had a buddy of mine (Lou Behrman) do a remote log in and he discovered the screen resolution for my computer was WAY to high. The following is an email exchange between Lou and Greg at Skyhound in regards to how the problem was fixed. Lou mentions he had similar issues with his Surface Pro 3.
    Hi Greg...
    Lou Behrman here. Josh asked me to remote in and take a look at what was going on.
    For some reason HP has the native screen resolution set WAY high. 2560X1440 on a 14" display. I set it to 1366x768 which is where my HP laptop is set. Everything looks good now. This is the same sort of issue I ran into with a Surface 3 Pro I use at work. The native resolution was in the 1900+ range. This on a 12 inch display. Had to knock it back to make it usable. Especially for old eyes...

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by skyraider; May 3rd, 2016 at 04:20 AM.

I just had the same problem with a new Asus tablet. The screen was set to 150% , made all the charts wacky. Works fine at 100%.
    Problem is, been cloudy all December and 2017 so far
    18" f/3.5 New Moon Dob,
    12.5? New Moon Dob
    8? f/5.5 Parallax Newt
    82mm Kowa Binos
    Richmond Va

One thing that worked for me when I had this problem was to right click the shortcut and then under compatibility check the disable display scaling on high DPI settings. This worked for me.

Owen

Can we pleeeeze get Sky Tools for the iPad ?

Because I'm the customer. I want results, not excuses.
    18" f/3.5 New Moon Dob,
    12.5? New Moon Dob
    8? f/5.5 Parallax Newt
    82mm Kowa Binos
    Richmond Va

I updated to Windows 10 on three computers and Megastar 5 works fine on all of them

Same here. Megastar, Sky Tools 3 and Deep Sky Planner all work fine on Windows 10.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles