Thread: The "Umbrella" Galaxy, NGC 4651, anyone?

The "Umbrella" Galaxy, NGC 4651, anyone?

Dear DSF,

I was wondering if anyone has seen the tidal streamers of NGC 4651, the "Umbrella" galaxy.

A look at the POSS II image seems to suggest that it might be just within the reach of Jimi's 48", and probably well within the reach of professional telescopes that some in the forum have access to:
    https://archive.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/ds...e&fov=NONE&v3=
    Of comparable brightness on POSS II Blue plates are the bridge in Keenan's system. The shells of NGC 474 seem brighter, as is the tail of the Tadpole galaxy.

A look at this R. J. GaBany image explains the name "Umbrella":
    http://www.cosmotography.com/images/...y-ngc4651.html

Clear Skies
    Regards
    Akarsh
    Last edited by akarsh; October 10th, 2015 at 04:07 AM. Reason: corrected R. J. GaBany's name.
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Akarsh,
    I love it man!! That GaBany image is awesome! I'm curious to see what the response is going to be. One of the good things about this streamer is there are quite a few stars directly surrounding it that will work as good markers. And anybody up for a challenge of that magnitude ( pun intended hahaha), could also try to round up the dim, distant companion galaxy I pointed out in the picture below. Sky tools has it listed as J124359.0+162341 a 19.07 mag star but in the GaBany image it is clearly a galaxy...assuming of course I matched images to atlases correctly.
    dss_search.gif
    Last edited by skyraider; October 10th, 2015 at 03:37 AM.

Josh,

Nice hearing from you again! Glad I was able to contribute an interesting object, and thanks for pointing that galaxy out.

This kind of stuff seems to be in the league of Larry Mitchell's and Jimi's telescopes.

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society