NGC 7814 - The Little Sombrero

Pegasus

RA 00 03 15.1
    DEC 16 08 45

Type: Galaxy
    Class: SA(s)ab:sp
    Size: 6.3' x 2.2'

Magnitude: 10.6

This week's OOTW is yet another William Herschel discovery from 1784. Lying approximately 40M light years away towards the Great Square of Pegasus, NGC7814; or otherwise known as the Little Sombrero, is very similar in appearance to its 'big brother' M104. And why not? Its overall shape and size is nearly identical to M104, but the fact that NGC7814 is approximately 13Mly further than M104 it appears much smaller to us.

A non barred spiral, NGC7814 is very nearly edge on and has a rather thin dustlane that tends to exhibit a bend, or warpage, to it very possibly the result of interactions with nearby galaxies. Many observers have noted fans that extend from either end of the galaxy's disk. The entire disk is enveloped in a halo that is rather bright surrounding a stellar nucleus. Reports online have shown that the overall glow and shape of NGC7814 is visible to some observers, under the right conditions, in scopes down to 100mm. But to see the dissecting dustlane, scopes upwards of 18" and higher power is what you may most likely need.

Here is my most recent observation from two years ago outside Dixon Il using my 25" under SQM 21.38 skies. Sadly, I make no mention of other powers nor whether I was using direct or averted vision during this observation.

13SEP13 NGC 7814 Bright diffuse glow extending NW - SE. Dustlane is most evident at 351x but still remains extremely thin tho dark. So much like M104.

So there you have it!! If you like M104 during the northern hemispheres spring, be sure to check out our autumn Sombrero. I think you'll be surprised just how much it really does look like its namesake!

And as always,

"Give it a go and let us know!"

NGC-7814-by-Ken-Crawford.jpg
    © Ken Crawford
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

As it happens I had a look at this galaxy again on September 19 for the first time in years. I remember having had difficulties spotting the dark lane even with a 42" telescope (the one in Puimichel, France). I guess I wasn't applying a sufficiently high magnification because it was no trouble at all with my 20" under SQM 21.3 skies:

At 320x I clearly see a two-sided galaxy. It is a large oval with a dark lane running through it. Very nice!

Clear skies, Wouter

Nice choose Dragan and funny that I revisited the galaxy last new moon with the 27". Although seeing was not the best, the dust lane was easier than I expected and I knew from my old 16" fights. And yes, it is already visible with 16" maybe even with the 12"-14" class? As you wrote, high magnification is needed.

16", 300x, NELM 6m5+
    NGC7814.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2