Thread: Delos vs Delite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delos vs Delite

Hello DSF,
    I am planning to buy an eyepiece and choosing between a similar focal length 10delos and 11Delite is a challenge as i currently don't have any access to either of them, is there anyone in this group who has access to and can compare these two eyepieces ?, also please comment on the contrast, eye relief, color neutrality, etc, any help appreciated .
    Bangalore Astronomical Society

8" GSO dob

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Hi Sanath,

I'm curious about the Delites as well. Hopefully some members here have some experience
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

I'm curious regarding the Delites but have not experienced them. My only comparison is Naglers vs Deols and I LOVE the Delos 14 and 10. Superb eye relief, all other metrics also perfect. Delos get out of the way so you feel like you are actually transported there. Naglers are of course superb but almost too much field and Ethos ridiculous too much field. Comical to watch someone looking "sideways" thru those to check out the field edge! I fully expect the Delites are wonderful but field may be getting just a tad constricted? Only guessing though - hope someone will chime in who has them! Tom

Hello DSF,
    I recently got the 7mm Delite and compared it with Pentax SMC7mm, i tested their quality during day time and again during night observing of Jupiter, i also have a 5.7mm Antares which i like for planetary, seeing was good and transparency was average, i tested both the 7mm EP with barlow and without barlow and i found that contrast in the features of jupiter was better shown in Delite, and features themselves appeared better resolved, the edge correction is good, although slight yellow and then blue can be seen in the planet while exiting the field.i then tested them on the trapezium stars and i found that contrast was slightly less in pentax and it let me see an extra star in a region which was slightly dim in Delite, i noticed that star colors were better defined in delite, something which is not very pronounced in Pentax. but overall, comparing the size, weight and cost where Delites are 250$ and Pentax is 330$, i think the Delite is a winner, my friend procured a 18.2mm and he is on the forum, probably he will write a review .
    Last edited by sanath; December 16th, 2015 at 05:29 PM.

8" GSO dob

If I wasn't out of astronomy - I would be all over the comparison.

To check for detectability of very dim objects
    - Select several threshold deep sky objects...those that are barely visible. Select a variety, mid-size, small and very small objects.
    - Compare between eyepieces...tap the telescope, so the field wiggles. If the object moves with the background stars, then you are actually seeing the object, otherwise you are imagining it. Use this test to validate.
    - Note: The difference is more pronounced in larger telescopes. See this link http://www.faintfuzzies.com/AboutUs2.html (scrol about 3/4 of the way down)

Hope this sheds some light.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    faintfuzzies.com

Hello,
    yes, thats a good idea, the above review is based on city observing, i will write one more review after a few observing sessions, i will test objects at the edge of visibility as you said. when it comes to planet, i feel that Delite performs slightly better. and i have been following your website for quite some time now, its really good, thanks for the link.

8" GSO dob

At first blush, the 7mm DeLites are essentially perfect...for my eyes.
    Last edited by acheter; June 18th, 2017 at 05:43 PM.