Thread: SN2012ah in NGC 7637

SN2012ah in NGC 7637

SN2012ah was discovered photographically in NGC 7637 2012/02/21.390 by amateur Stu Parker in New Zealand.
    R.A. = 23h25m59s.63, Decl. = -81°54'33".3
    Located 58" west and 8" north of the center of NGC 7637
    Mag 14.6:2/21, Type unknown (References SN 1992ao)

On Sat 25th Feb at approx. 02:00 Australian Eastern Summer Time (AEDT) at Coonabarabran, NSW, Australia
    (some 6.5 hours drive from Sydney) under clear skies and average seeing, I was able to observe it visually using
    a 30" f4.5 SDM Dob equipped with Argo Navis.

With a 26mm Tele Vue eyepiece the SN could be identified using averted vision.
    Using a 8mm Tele Vue eyepiece the SN became self evident without requiring averted vision.

Andrew Murrell verified the observation.

Earlier that same night I had attempted to observe it visually through an 18" f/4.5 classic Obsession
    and though the galaxy was visible, there was no way one could spot the SN visually.

Though I did not try to locate it in one of the 25" or 20" Dobs, my feeling was
    that it would likely be possible in a 25" with the right magnification eyepiece
    so as to frame the galaxy but probably very challenging in a 20" at the zenith
    distance we observed it at.

Thread including finder chart image and pre and post discovery images here on IceInSpace
    http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=87025

Being this far south, this is not an object for North American observers but does provide me
    with a further opportunity to invite you to come join us in Australia for some deep sky observing.
    Courtesy of 3RF, no need to bring a scope. See http://www.ozsky.org

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
    Sydney, Australia
    Last edited by gary; February 26th, 2012 at 02:26 AM.