Thread: Observation of two "uncataloged" galaxies

Observation of two "uncataloged" galaxies

Dear all,

Tonight I was rounding off my extragalactic NGC and IC objects in Cygnus TODO list and moving on to Lacerta, when I observed two galaxies that don't have an NGC/IC/UGC/MCG/PGC designation.

The first one turns out to be 2MFGC 14852 near NGC 6783 which came as a surprise because I expected to see one galaxy but noticed two and Skytools couldn't tell me what it was. When I got home I checked against Simbad, NED and HyperLeda and they all contain this galaxy. Unfortunately only J, H and K band magnitudes are available, which explains why it's not in the Skytools database. I actually made a digital sketch on my phone to be able to identify the galaxy once I got home. See the attachment. NGC 6783 is the lower smudge of the two.

The second one I noticed when comparing my view of NGC 7223 with an image found on Google. I do this often once I have observed an object to ascertain that I haven't missed any details and I do this after not to be biased by any image. I noticed the galaxy 2MASX J22100570+4101441 at the place where I thought I saw a faint star. Closer inspection indeed revealed that the "star" is an extended object. Again, only J, H and K band magnitudes are available.

Clear skies,

Wouter van Reeven
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also picked up 2MASX J22100570+4101441 back in 1986 when I viewed NGC 7223. Here are my notes:

17.5" (8/1/86): very faint, very small, slightly elongated. Located west of a star just off the north side of NGC 7223.

I didn't notice 2MFGC 14852, but it's catalogued in HyperLeda as PGC 4667414.
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; November 12th, 2015 at 02:54 AM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Thanks for the HyperLeda designation Steve. I failed to see that last night. The "Total apparent corrected B-magnitude" is listed as 17.76 which seems very faint compared to how it appeared visually in my telescope last night. It was readily visible and it actually confused me because I only expected to see one galaxy. As a matter of fact, when I inspect POSS 1 and 2 images, both red and blue, the galaxy appears almost as bright as NGC 6783. Curious...