Thread: Object of the Week, November 22, 2015 -- NGC 1514, a revolutionary planetary

Object of the Week, November 22, 2015 -- NGC 1514, a revolutionary planetary

NGC 1514 = Crystal Ball Planetary
    Aliases: PK 165-15.1 = PN G165.5-15.2
    RA: 04h 09m 17s
    Dec: +30° 46' 33"
    Type: Planetary Nebula
    Size: 136" x 121"
    Distance: 600-800 light years

William Herschel discovered NGC 1514 on 13 Nov 1790 (sweep 980) and recorded "A most singular phenomenon. A star of about 8th magnitude with a faint luminous atmosphere of a circular form, and about 3' in diameter. The star is perfectly in the center and the atmosphere is so diluted, faint and equal throughout that there can be no surmise of its consisting of stars; nor can there be a doubt of the evident connection between the atmosphere and the star. Another star, not much less in brightness and in the same field with the above, was perfectly free from any such appearance."

The symmetry of NGC 1514 forced Herschel to rethink his ideas of the nature of planetary nebulae. He previously assumed all nebulae were unresolved stellar clusters of some kind, appearing nebulous on account of their great distance. After viewing NGC 1514, he was convinced of the existence of pure nebulosity, out of which individual stars or planets were formed and he no longer expected every nebula to be resolved with enough aperture. This realization also halted his interest in seriously observing with his 40-foot telescope (48-inch aperture).

A total of 20 observations were made using Lord Rosse's 72" with one of the earliest (13 Jan 1852) describing NGC 1514 as a "new spiral of an annular form round the star, which is central; Brightest part is south-following the star, spirality is very faint, but I have no doubt of its existence". Here's a sketch made at Birr Castle --

NGC 1514.jpg

I don't see a spiral pattern, but there's certainly interesting structure in NGC 1514. Here's how it looked in my 17.5" --

At 100x, moderately bright, round, ~2' halo surrounding a prominent mag 9.5 star. Excellent filter response to UHC and OIII blinking while the H-beta filter killed the PN (OIII/H-beta = 12). Using the OIII filter, the surface brightness was noticeably uneven, with the NW quadrant of the rim clearly brighter. The SE end was also weakly enhanced while the center and ends of the minor axis were slightly darker. At 220x using a UHC filter, the halo appeared nearly 2.5' in diameter. There was a small, darker "hole" surrounding the central star and halo was clearly irregular with a brighter "knot" on the SE side, while the NW portion of the halo was brighter along the rim.

NGC 1514 Block.jpg

In Jimi Lowrey's 48-inch at 610x (unfiltered), the surface brightness is very irregular and the rim varies greatly in thickness and brightness -- it's very bright in the northwest quadrant, along roughly a 70° arc. A second enhanced portion is along the southeast edge (~35° arc) and a third slightly smaller, bright region (more circular) is on the east end. The rim is weaker on the south or south-southwest end as well as on the north and northeast side. The rim also bulges out on the southeast side (near the two enhancements on this end) and to a lesser extent on the northwest end and the south end. A 17th magnitude star is visible at the southwest edge. The mag 9.5 star and a very faint companion to its southeast are surrounded a darker central hole.

Next clear Fall or Winter night, check out the Crystal Ball Nebula!

GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW!
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; November 23rd, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Agggr!!! You beat me on this one Steve!!! An amazing object which I studied extensively lately as it was one of my own candidate OOTWs for December! Possibly the most interesting planetary visible at this time, with lots and lots of structure, even in small scopes. I have several drawings ready to be scanned with both my 18" dob and my 6" achro. One interesting aspect of this planetary was that with my 18" the UHC filter seemed to work much better on it than the OIII, yet with my 6" the opposite was true. All in all an exquisite object worth visiting even with small scopes - it was recently seen here in Cyprus under suburban skies with a Takahashi FS76 by NicosK!
    Last edited by RolandosCY; November 23rd, 2015 at 03:19 PM.
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Sorry about that Rolandos! When I was deciding what object to pick for the OOTW yesterday, I immediately thought of NGC 1514, but I figured it had to have been chosen previously. I was very surprised when I couldn't find it in the OOTW archives.

Anyways, I certainly hope you'll post your sketches and observing notes!!
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space

Indeed a fascinating object Steve which is worth an OOTW.

You mentioned the spiral structure in the historical context. I could comprehend the structure, when! you search for it. The faint knots and (I also called and described it often as) sausages could easily connected to spirals. You show the finer sketch of Mitchel from 1858, I will add a more rough but more detailed sketch from 1862. In the description the region "alpha" is the star to the N.
    NGC1514Sk.jpg

At the telescope I had always difficulties to resolve and organize the details which were visible. This never succeeded me with my older 16inch.
    16", 260x, [OIII], NELM 6m5+
    NGC1514.jpg

With the 27inch this topic was much easier, as you also described trough Jimis telescope. Nice detail - the very faint "second" CS to the SE. You mentioned it also with the 48inch machine.
    27", 366x, no filter, NELM 7m0+
    NGC1514_27.jpg

Another often forgotten and a little curios fact - NGC 1514 is one of only few PN which CS is even visible in binoculars!
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

As usual, your sketch with the 27-inch is excellent!

I mentioned the planetary was observed 20 times with the 72-inch in Ireland. Here are some of the observations (besides the one I originally posted)

1855, Oct 7. Annular, but with a break in the south side of the annulus, or perhaps it is a spiral.

1856, Oct 31. I feel certain of a dark space nearly preceding the central star, the shape of the whole is only conjectural; there is a star plain north-preceding the neb.

1857, Dec 7. The break in the south side of the ring of neb is quite easily seen; between this ring and the central star is not black, but filled with more faint nebulosity.

1858, Jan 9. Observed for a sketch; last observation correct as to shape, the brightest part is south-following, and the next brightest is on the opposite site, and with ½-inch single lens the whole annulus has a mottled look.

1862, Nov 20 (refers to the sketch Uwe posted). Very difficult to determine its true shape. I think there is a star at Alpha in a little knot almost detached from the nebula. The opening at Delta is easily seen. Sometimes at Beta the little knot seemed attached, and occasionally as if it extended south for some distance. At Gamma I was doubtful whether the ring is closed or not.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gottlieb View Post
    Sorry about that Rolandos! When I was deciding what object to pick for the OOTW yesterday, I immediately thought of NGC 1514, but I figured it had to have been chosen previously. I was very surprised when I couldn't find it in the OOTW archives.

Anyways, I certainly hope you'll post your sketches and observing notes!!
    Needless to say I was joking about the agrrr! NGC 1514 along with three galaxies were my candidates, so I have another three options! I was also surprised not to see this gem included in the OOTWs, such an obvious choice and suitable for everything! I will post the drawings later this week, stay tuned!
    The Darker the Better!
    -------------------------
    18" f4.5 Obsession Classic #1934
    10" f5 Skyatcher Dob
    152mm f5.9 Teleskop Service
    Takahashi FS128
    SkyWatcher 120 f5
    Takahashi FS102
    Takahashi FSQ106N
    SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
    SkyWatcher ED72 Evostar
    Televue Naglers and Ethos

Here's my best observation from a few years ago with the 28 inch. I'm disappointed with my sketch because it's too small and didn't capture the wonderfully smooth and milky texture of the nebulosity - all the more reason for another look this winter.

"This is an excellent view of this famous object - bright and full of milky, subtle details. The Bright central star dims the nebula with direct vision but averted vision jumps out all the good stuff (I think this meant all the subtle details were seen with averted vision). The OIII filter is best, UHC second, and then broadband filter gave views in descending order of detail. 253x best, 21.10 SQM."

N1514_crop.jpg N1514_crop_inverted.jpg

Wonderful sketch Uwe, I wish I had eyes like yours!
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Thanks Steve for the excellent presentation of this beautiful object.
    I have this object in 2011 observed with 16 inches

NGC 1514 pos.jpgNGC 1514 klein.jpg
    180x fst 6m5 SQM 21,40 Seeing 1(Wonderful Seeing!!)
    CS Hajü
    www.astromerk.de
    Attached Images Attached Images