Thread: Globular Cluster in NGC 147

Globular Cluster in NGC 147

After having a labeled chart with me over several years I finally did it last nights.

Starting point was an article by Steve G. and a labeled photo from Bernhard Hubl.
    In addition to the four "inner" Hodge GC's (1976AJ.....81...25H) I add some newly discovered Clusters (GC) and Candidates (GCC) from Sharina and Davoust (2009A&A...497...65S).
    I add the new candidates on the labeled photo of Bernhard and started a try.

GC_NGC147.jpg

27", 586x, Seeing III, NELM 6m5+
    Hodge 1: sure popping with averted vision, could not hold it steadily with averted vision; easy star field with two "helping" stars in the near neighborhood
    Hodge 2: 17mag star in the direct neighborhood visible with averted vision; uncertain popping of an second object; to few poppinmg to call it positive
    Hodge 3: easy, could hold it steadily with averted vision; sometimes I had the feeling the "star" was more diffuse than other star peaks with similar brightness
    Hodge 4: not tried
    GC SD 5: not visible
    GCC SD 6: steadily visible with averted vision; same brightness than Hodge 3, perhaps a little bit easier and in moments of good seeing with direct vision
    GC SD 7: a little bit more difficult than GCC SD 7 but also visible steadily with averted vision
    GCC SD 9:difficult star field because of missing stars for orientation and verification; start from a 15mag star north to the galaxy 2MASXJ00323967+4820405 and following to the GCC; very difficult but it popping so often, that I classify the observation as positive

All in all it was a very fun project and I'm sure that the three brightest members could also be a target for the 16"+ aperture class.

Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Impressive observations, Uwe.

Thanks for posting these exellent observations, Uwe! Always love new challenges!
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Great observations. Thanks for the informative post. I'll try to check out the bright ones.

Great observations, Uwe! I have tried the 4 Hodges in NGC 147 two years ago in the Alps at 6000 ft. under very good skies. (I did not know about the other GCs then.) Of the Hodges I could only see # 3. I used Paul Alsing's charts.

Have you ever tried the globulars in NGC 185? Paul Alsing's chart lists 8 altogether. Of these I could see 2, namely #3 and #5.

Greetings
    Johannes
    25" f4 home built Dobsonian, Argo Navis, ServoCAT
    My astronomy website: Blick ins All

I just checked my observations of NGC 147 and I didn't mention any globular clusters, nor if I tried for them. So I'll revisit this galaxy. Judging by Uwe's observations I think it will not be an easy feat to spot more than one though.

Using my 20" I could see Hodge 3 and 5 in NGC 185 as well.

Clear skies, Wouter

Thanks guys for your positive feedback.

And no, I did not try the GC's in NGC 185 yet. Just download Paul's charts, thanks for the labeling. I will give it a try for sure.
    As addition to that - a quick and dirty search gave a hit again at Bernhard Hubl and another Cluster PA-N185 here
    Clear Skies, uwe
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Thanks for the reference to the paper. Looks like the three PA-N147 clusters should be within reach of your telescope, Uwe. And two of then within reach of mine. I'll add them to my todo list

I add the two PA GC which were in the near of NGC 147 and on the photo of Bernhard.

GC_NGC14722.jpg
    Clear Skies, uwe
    Germany

27" f/4,2

I didn't pick a good enough night to see any of NGC 147's globulars a few years ago with the 28 inch scope:

"I don't think I've seen any of NGC 147's globulars. Lots of faint field stars but [the globulars] are fainter than the stars I can see tonight. 147 is much more subtle than NGC 185 (which I had just observed and seen GC-5) and its edges are more diffuse. Best at 253x, 21.25 SQM"

N147_crop.jpg N147_cropinvert.jpg

I think excellent observing conditions are needed to see these little guys, but there's no danger that will happen around here anytime soon. We've been pounded by record breaking rain the past week and it looks like it will continue past the new moon window. Ugh. I shouldn't complain though, we had a week of beautiful weather around the last full moon...
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine

Revisited NGC 147 last night and tried the newly discovered Clusters PA1 and PA 2. Instrument was the 27" with 586x under good transparency but not the best seeing at all (magnification was over the limit).

PA1: N of a 14mag star a faint star chain with three stars in a row is visible; both N stars are little brighter and the northern most was the brightest (contrary to the DSS and the photo of Bernhard); both N stellar points could be hold for several seconds each with averted vision
    PA2: easy star field with some helping stars close by; the GC was popping in and out of view several times; could not hold the GC, but it was sure visible

I also tried some GC in NGC 185. Beside the two easy (steadily with averted vision) GC III and V I could also catch GC VIII. I also tried GC IV but had no success.
    Clear Skies, uwe
    Germany

27" f/4,2

A Dutch amateur recently imaged NGC 147 with a total exposure time of 21h. Here you can see the result:

http://www.dutchastrocolors.com/Universe/i-BCWmwTr/A