Jonckheere 320

Orion

RA
05 05 34
DEC
+10 42 23

MAG 12.9(p)

Size 26"x14"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonckheere 320 is a small planetary nebula that you do not hear much about. It was found by the Belgium astronomer Robert Jonckheere on January 22, 1906. He thought it was a double star until he looked at it with a larger telescope and could see it was a nebula. I have viewed this small gem several time over the years and suggest that you have a good finder chart to help you locate this small PN. I found a observation from Sue French that I thought was noteworthy. "This planetary is easily visible in my 105mm refractor even at 28x,but it looks like a star. it begins to appear nonstellar at 87x and shows a very small disk at 127x"This is very impressive to me that Sue was able to see this PN at 28X with a 105mm refractor.

jonckheere 320.jpg

Be sure to use all the power that the conditions will stand on this one. I have gotten good responses with a O III and NPB filters on this planetary also be sure to try it without filters. I have also the last few years started to always try low power view with a filter. This I have found helps to bring out the faint outer halos of PN. I am looking forward to hearing if you will be able to see the bi-polar lobes on this small gem.

2MASS Galaxy.gif

There are two challenges that I would like to point out. If you would look at the above image approximately 45" North East of the PN is a small faint face on galaxy with a brighter core.. It is in the 2MASS catalog and I am not sure of its MAG, also near the center of the PN on either side at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock axis you can just see some faint nebulosity. I hope a filter will help to bring this out.

Next time out try this small gem in Orion and

"GIVE IT A GO "