Thread: SBS 1150+599

SBS 1150+599

SBS 1150+599 is perhaps the holy grail of planetary nebulae, potentially beating Pease 1(?). It's a Population III planetary nebula in Ursa Major. You heard that right. It is the most metal-poor known planetary nebula. It is not really Population III, but it can look like it is. It is 3" in diameter and is magnitude 17.5, meaning this should be a challenge for supermassive dobs. But those guys here with dobs larger than say, 20 inches can feel free to observe this one in a few months. RA is 11 53 24.738 and Dec is +59 39 57.10.

DSS image:
    033.png

SDSS image:
    ts01sdss.png

Hubble image:
    TS_01.jpg
    Last edited by Brandon P; January 25th, 2016 at 01:12 AM.

Hi Brandon Welcome to DSF. Have you seen this object before? This one is for sure off the beaten path. I looked at it a few years back it was small and stellar and I did not get much of a response with a filter.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

For more on this unusual planetary, here's the paper "The chemical composition of TS 01, the most oxygen-deficient planetary nebula"

The paper mentions the [O III] λ5007 line is very weak -- only a few percent of Hβ, so its not surprising Jimi didn't find a positive filter response.

By the way, TS 01 = SBSS 1150+599 was discovered during a sky survey at the Byurakan Astrophysical Observatory in Armenia, founded by Victor Ambartsumian and famous for Markarian galaxies, Arakelian high surface brightness galaxies, Parsamian cometary nebulae, Gyulbudaghian YSO and jets, Shakhbazyan compact groups of compact galaxies and more.
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; January 25th, 2016 at 05:03 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

I took another look at SBS 1150+599 last night @ 813 X and it was just as I remembered it (Really small fuzzy star like No filter response) Not much to look at but still a cool object knowing what it is! The field of view is interesting with galaxy MCG +10-17-97 so close by.

MCG +10-17-97.jpg
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM