Thread: Look what I got in the mail today!

Smile Look what I got in the mail today!

holm1.jpg holm2.jpg

Much needed original data for a new CSOG edition! The book is more than twice my age :-)
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

SQM is nothing, transparency is everything.

Wow! That's amazing.

This seems like an interesting list to pursue -- do you plan to make a CSOG out of it? If so, I'm looking forward to it! But also looks like a long observation program (unlike Holmberg's short list of dwarfs and the like).

Of course, nothing beats having a physical copy, but for the others to access, I found the online version here:
    http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//...00006.000.html
    I don't know if it is accessible without subscription (I'm on my university network), but ADS usually is...?

Clear Skies

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Hi Akarsh,

Yes, the digital copy is available without subscription. But when I ran into a paper version I just had to order a copy.

I will pour all of these objects into a new CSOG edition. It will be quite a big one, 2.5x the number of objects that are in the Arp edition but I am sure it will be a great project. Due to the work remaining, on this edition and a few more new ones, don't expect a release any sooner than the end of the year.
    The short list of Holmberg objects you mentioned is already available in CSOG 2.1: http://www.clearskies.eu/csog/download, under "Catalog Editions". In V2.2 it will be available in an "XL" edition, too, akin to the Hickson and Arp editions.
    Here's a list of all the new editions: http://www.clearskies.eu/csog/#future

Cheers,

Victor
    Last edited by Clear Skies; January 28th, 2016 at 01:38 PM.
    Victor van Wulfen

clearskies.eu - Clear Skies Observing Guides - CSOG - Blog - Observing Log - Observing Sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Clear Skies View Post
    holm1.jpg holm2.jpg

Much needed original data for a new CSOG edition! The book is more than twice my age :-)
    Bummer, the book is only nine years older than me :>(
    Paul Alsing
    25" f/5 Obsession
    http://www.pnalsing.com/home

That is a huge amount of work you are setting yourself :-)

Owen

pixelsaurus
    Whippersnapper. I'm older than that.

Keep in mind that although Eric Holmberg was the first to discover a number of these galaxy pairs (this was his PhD thesis), there are quite a few entries in the table in which one or both objects is actually a star. For example in the first 12 listings # 1, 3, 4, 5, 9 includes a galactic star (so they refer to single galaxies) and 12 is either a plate defect or two stars (nothing at his position).
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; January 31st, 2016 at 04:39 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

@Owen, it will be a large, time consuming subproject, but by itself peanuts compared to what I have already compiled. In fact, many Holmberg's will in some form already be part of the 14,000+ object CSOG database. If I can average three objects (groups) a day I should be able to release CSOG2.2 at the end of this year.

@Steve, yes, as you pointed out plenty of Holmberg's Group components are stars, as are quite a few of Rose's components, too... although not as many in the latter as in the previous. These incorrect identifications are what I plan to track to down and point out in new observing guides, using SDDS images in addition to DSS where available.

@everyone else, sorry! I was born too late ;-)
    Victor van Wulfen