Ra
09 59 29
Dec
-22 49 34

Type
Seyfert 2

Mag

--------------------------------------------
The last few years I have been observing SB type rings and so far this is the best of the resonances rings that I have found.

NGC-3081 Hubble.jpg

NGC 3081 was found by William Herschel on Dec 21, 1786. I wounder if he thought he had found another PN? According to professor Ron Buta's paper on NGC 3081 the are four rings in this unusual galaxy " NGC 3081 is a early-type barred spiral having four well-defined resonance rings: a nuclear ring, an inner ring, an outer R1 ring, and an outer R2."

NGC 3081 ring structure.gif

He also says that there has been little to no interaction with other galaxies and this is why the rings are in a pristine shape. DR Buta,s Paper http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...3365.text.html

NGC 3081 B&W.jpg

From my observations of NGC 3081 RI and R2 rings are very faint and not seen visually and only shows up in deep images of the galaxy. The view of the inner rings are stunning and hard to put into words. Steve G, Howard B and I had a good view or the inner rings one night and Howard did a awesome drawing of it I hope he will post it here for us to see.

I hope you get a chance to view the King of the SB rings soon and will,

"Give it a go and let us know! "