Thread: Symbiotic Stars

Symbiotic Stars

I recently read a short description about HARO 2-36 (1-36)(Deep Sky Wonders Sue French) which is a close binary system containing a cool giant and hot dwarf with high temperatures.
    I did some research and came up with
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...nk_type=SIMBAD
    it list a 188 confirmed? Symbiotic and 29 suspected stars.
    I realize this is probably not 99% of members forte but can anyone point me in a new direction.
    Thank you
    Mark
    16" f/4.5

If you're looking for a technical analysis and comprehensive model of Haro 1-36, take a look at the 2007 paper "The symbiotic star H1-36. A composite model of line and continuum spectra from radio to ultraviolet."

The 1983 paper "The symbiotic star H1-36" by David Allen may be the earliest in-depth study. The abstract reads "Since its discovery by Haro (1952), the star H1-36 has been catalogued as a planetary nebula despite its extremely high-excitation emission-line spectrum (e.g., forbidden Fe VII and Ne V) and its imposing, variable infrared excess. However, the resemblance between the optical spectrum of H1-36 and that of many symbiotic stars and the discovery of a cool giant in H1-36 suggest that H1-36 is a symbiotic star. A model is proposed which provides a qualitative explanation for the great strength of low-excitation forbidden lines in the optical spectrum of H1-36. Similarities between H1-36 and three recent slow novae, RR Tel, V1016 Cyg, and HM Sge, are examined."
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; June 20th, 2016 at 06:00 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel