NGC 6621 AKA Arp 81

RA
18 12 55
DEC
+68 21 48

Mag 13.6

Type SB Pec

-------------------------------------------------

On the night of June 2, 1885 14 year old Edward Swift swept up 6621 with his famous father's (Lewis Swift) 16" Clark refactor. I have read that he would look for new nebula with the 16" while his father would be looking for comets with his 5 1/2" refactor. I am pretty sure Edward Swift is the youngest contributor to the NGC and IC catalog. They reported that the nebula was pretty faint,pretty small,little brighter in the middle,round,North of 2"

Edward his mother and Lewis Swift
Edward swift.jpg

They swept up the nebula again on August 11, 1885 and thought that it was new. Lewis noted the companion 6622 this time.

6621.jpg

During the Texas star party we had a memorable view of this fantastic galaxy with my 48" reflector. Observing with me were Steve Gottlieb,Larry Mitchel and Howard Banich and a host of others. The best view that night was with a 7MM Tak UW @ 697X. The full tidal tail was visible with lots of star forming regions as brighter knots. Howard did a nice drawing of 6621/2 and I hope he will post it.

Next warm summer night you are out be sure to check out young Edward's Galaxy 6621/2 and as usual,

GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW!