Thread: Banner & Screen Resolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar

Banner & Screen Resolution

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a little feedback. When you use the forum, how does the banner (or for that matter any part of the website) at the top of the screen appear? Does it cut off or can you see the entire banner? Does any part of the website get cut off? You shouldn't have to scroll at anytime horizontally. Only vertically.

The forum is optimized for a resolution of 1280x800. It SHOULD render propertly at all resolutions but I'm hearing wind that different monitors make it look different.... for example ...the banner gets cut off or the banner doesn't stretch across the screen.

How's it look for you? What is your particular monitor resolution set at?

I just want to be sure the website looks as good as it can for everyone here!

Thanks!!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

I can easily see the entire banner and do not have to scroll horizontally. I would love the ability to choose background and text colors, though. I find the white letters on a black bacground hard on the eyes.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
    I find the white letters on a black bacground hard on the eyes.
    Black background? It shouldn't be black. It should be a gray.
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
    Black background? It shouldn't be black. It should be a gray.
    Ah...never mind. I see where you are referring to the black background. (I was thinking of the actual posts but the homepage is what you speak of)

Let me look into "user defined" colors. I know other forums allow you to do this. I can't say for certain whether our software allows this.

I'll get back to you
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Sorry, you are right--it is dark gray.
    I would love to be able to read black letters on a white background, or ecru, or light beige. Something that is the reverse of the current setting. I am on about a dozen forums, and all except two allow some selection of colors in the presentation.
    Don Pensack
    www.EyepiecesEtc.com
    Los Angeles

I understand that the forum is optimized for 1200x800. However, I regularly read the forum on my iPhone which has a much lower resolution. With the huge banner at the top, the posts become very hard to read. As far as I know, this forum software also has support for mobile devices. Would it be possible to activate mobile support so the forum becomes better usable on mobile phones?

Clear skies,
    Wouter

Hello Wouter,

Thanks for the feedback. We haven't had any real interest in a mobile version of the site but I will definitely look into it.

Thank you!
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

I mostly read this forum on an iPad. The banner is full width, and the other bits are about 3/4th of the total width. In landscape mode that isn't a problem as the text is still very readable. In portrait mode the non-banner bits are too small, but this doesn't matter much as I read allmost all websites in landscape mode.

I wouldn't mind having a black text on whitish background too, but the real bugbear is black text on a dark blue background, like in some of the buttons. Fortunately there are not many of those. Blue text on a black background is OK.