Quote Originally Posted by vasilas432 View Post
To answer your question, yes it is affected by light pollution of Chania city because at 03:00 am when we had the 21.64 a big part of the city had the lights turned off. I found Rodopos using this map as a grey zone:
http://djlorenz.github.io/astronomy/...rlay/dark.html
According to same map Skinakas which is a darker place and 1.480 m high is a blue zone.
I think the map is generally created using approximate contour lines and not real data. Checking on Cyprus, where I know personally the sites, it is generally way off in regards to the "color zones". My educated guess is that it extrapolates the contours by using visible light night photos, not taking into account the terrain etc. If I believe this map, our most used dark site is ...yellow at best, yet readings of 21.5 are usual, and my 21.6 to 21.7 site is barely green. I live more or less on the edge of an orange zone, yet my skies at home are 21.1 (which for many Europeans and Americans would be a three or more hours drive!). I would not depend so much on this map, I would go the darkest site available at the highest altitude (if given a choice!). I know it can be a hussle, but maybe you guys should decide in a few candidate places and go and check them AT NIGHT without a telescope. I once had found what I thought was an excellent location, explored it during daytime, but when I went at night I realized it was useless because behind a hill to the south was a huge well lit quarry!!!