Thread: 2 Galaxies around M57

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the info
    I wasn't aware of LEDA 2024204 when observing arround M57. Actually I was going for IC 1296 but when I was looking arround something distracted my averted vision. It was probably the 5th star but I was sure then that it may be a galaxy. Found it on DSS and yes it was a galaxy close to the star. I may have see it or not. I have to try again. Someone with a bigger scope may tell as how faint it actually looks.
    Last edited by vasilas432; August 13th, 2016 at 04:55 PM.

Steve and I have seen the spiral arms in IC 1296 in my scope in the past. I too was not aware of the LEDA galaxy, Mega Star list it as MAC 1853+3307 and gives it a mag of 17.5. I will give it a go if the monsoon here ever clears.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Lowrey View Post
    Steve and I have seen the spiral arms in IC 1296 in my scope in the past. I too was not aware of the LEDA galaxy, Mega Star list it as MAC 1853+3307 and gives it a mag of 17.5. I will give it a go if the monsoon here ever clears.
    Great, it is very interesting to know what is going on with this LEDA galaxy! We are looking forward to your report.

Hello Vassilios,

IC 1296 is already visible with 12" under superb skies (NELM 7m0+, La Palma). But very, very tough. Very good second observer confirmed sighting.

CS
    Norman
    12" f/ 4,5 - tuned Sumerian Optics Dobson - Nauris main mirror
    - who stands the rain deserves the sun! -

Hi Jimi,
    Did you find the opportunity for the MAC 1853+3307? My last attempt failed too due to bad seeing.
    Thanks

Clear Skies
    Vassilios

Quote Originally Posted by vasilas432 View Post
    Hi Jimi,
    Did you find the opportunity for the MAC 1853+3307? My last attempt failed too due to bad seeing.
    Thanks

Clear Skies
    Vassilios
    Last week Jimi observed with me and other DeepSkyForum members at a dark, high elevation site in eastern California, but we didn't look for MAC 1853+3307 through my 24".
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gottlieb View Post
    Last week Jimi observed with me and other DeepSkyForum members at a dark, high elevation site in eastern California, but we didn't look for MAC 1853+3307 through my 24".
    Great,
    any highlights?
    Our best part was Abell 426 and galaxies arround NGC 7431. Abell 426 is a straight line made by faint galaxies! Great views but I had a feeling it could be better. Our new site in Rodopos in Crete was maybe 300 m above sea level and I could see less than the site at 1.400m
    Thanks

Clear Skies
    Vassilios

Quote Originally Posted by vasilas432 View Post
    Great,
    any highlights?
    Our best part was Abell 426 and galaxies arround NGC 7431. Abell 426 is a straight line made by faint galaxies! Great views but I had a feeling it could be better. Our new site in Rodopos in Crete was maybe 300 m above sea level and I could see less than the site at 1.400m
    Thanks

Clear Skies
    Vassilios
    I'm away from home (and my observing notes) for the next week, but one highlight for me was III Zw 22, also known as Shakhbazian 38. This is a very compact chain of 4 mag 17-17.5 galaxies within ~30". Uwe Glahn has an excellent sketch through his 27" at high power here. The combined glow of the four galaxies in the chain were immediately noticed at 200x. Upping the magnification to 375x, the combined glow stretched ~1.0'x0.2', but the individual galaxies weren't resolved at this power.

I couldn't find a redshift on the group, but based on the size, I wouldn't be surprised if they in the 1 billion l.y. range.

III Zw 22.jpg
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

I observed MAC 1853+3307 tonight under not very good conditions. It was picked up at 375X with my finder eyepiece at the end of a chain of stars it was visible as a soft glow at this power approximately 75% of the time. I bumped up the power to 697X and the galaxy I could hold all the time with AV. On a good night I think it would be visible in 18" to 20" class of scope or even a 16"?
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

I observed MAC 1853+3307 tonight under not very good conditions. It was picked up at 375X with my finder eyepiece at the end of a chain of stars it was visible as a soft glow at this power approximately 75% of the time. I bumped up the power to 697X and the galaxy I could hold all the time with AV. On a good night I think it would be visible in 18" to 20" class of scope or even a 16"?
    I brought the image on my mind and thought about it better. Could you estimate the magnitude of the last star of the chain? The one next to the galaxy. I was seeing something with AV, was it the star or the Galaxy? That caught my attention from the beginning and made me to look at the map if it was a Galaxy. If the this star is high magnitude I was probably seeing with AV the star with the 24"
    Manousos Special 24.4" f/3.2 Truss Dobsonian