Thread: New Equatorial Platform

New Equatorial Platform

Fellow DSO observers using Dobsonian telescopes,

My observing buddy, Gregg, is now starting production on low-profile all-aluminum equatorial platforms. He will offer two models; medium and heavy duty. The medium is designed to support up to approximately 120 pounds or 18 to 20” truss telescopes and the heavy model supports about 180 pounds or up to 28 to 30” reflectors, possibly more. He is currently using his homebuilt 25” f/4.5 on his heavy platform.

I’ve been beta testing it for a year now and totally blown away by it’s performance. It is not meant to compete with Tom O’s platform as they are totally at different price points. NOTE: The platform under my 22" is NOT anodized as it is the beta version!

The tracking accuracy is pretty impressive. My first light with it was in my front driveway. I just aligned the platform by eye (see seventh bullet), put my 22” on it. Then centered M-13 on it with a 6mm ZAO-II (383x with a 6.6’ field of view). Went in the house to do stuff for 20 minutes, went back out. It was still in the field of view!

Some key features:
    -Black anodized.
    -Up to 65 to 70 minutes of tracking.
    -About 3.5” to 4” high. In actuality, the eyepiece height gain is about 1.5 to 2” as the ground board would be removed prior to installation onto the platform. The ground board is typically 2” high.
    -Able to use a range of telescopes on a single platform. Medium – up to 18 or 20” reflectors (I’m using my 22” on it as it is lighter than the 20” Obsession by at least 10 pounds). Heavy – up to 28 to 30” reflectors. The pads can be moved in or out from the pivot point as the pads are approximately 120 degrees apart. The pads on the photos is configured for Gregg’s 16” travel scope.
    -Uses either a set of 4 AA or a single 9V battery. The voltage regulator will take care of that. The 4 AA’s lasts about 20-30 hours and the 9V about 12-15 hours.
    -One can take it apart and travel with it in a travel bag similar to a camp chair bag. About 15 minutes to remove or install about 15 screws.
    -Easy alignment with Polaris as the long arm is just an arm, unlike competing platforms, so you can just stand back about 10-15 feet and align the long arm to Polaris to the best of your ability. That should be good enough. You can use a compass, I do that during the day, and still need to fine tune it at night. I just grab the platform with the scope on it at the end of the long arm (second photo) and drag it left or right until I’m happy.
    -Leveling feet.

He is still working on his website.

Any information, please contact me and I’ll try my best to answer your questions or get in touch with him as he is currently out of the country for a business trip.

The BEST part is that he is offering the medium duty model for a great price of $750! The heavy duty model is $900. You CAN’T BEAT that.

It is obvious that his goal is to provide a tool for DSO observers like you at an attractive price, much like what I do with my three books. We DON’T make much money on these tools, but really enjoy the hobby like you do and wish that you do without breaking your bank account.

Hopefully I didn’t miss anything obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FaintFuzzies; May 2nd, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

I WANT ONE! The medium duty model. How soon can I get one??

Ha! I just about ordered one already..hopefully get it in a month or so...just for the new observing season!
    Last edited by Adrian R.; March 12th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
    Obsession 20" f/5 Dobsonian #388
    Parks 8" f/6 custom Dobsonian
    Televue oculars

Hi Alvin,

looks certainly like a nice platform!

I make my platforms also with a southern pivot instead of a circle segment (as Tom O.). But I live at latitude 48°N, where the polar axis is much steeper than at your place. At your latitude, a southern circle segment would make a much shorter platform (so watch your step when you walk around your dob :-) )

Anyways, this looks like a good build. What are the dimensions of the tubing that you use? Is this one of these Celestron/Skywatcher drive units? And does your friend have a website?
    Reiner

22" and 14" Dobs on EQ platforms and Deep Sky Observing
    www.reinervogel.net

Hi Reiner,

The medium uses a 1.5" square tubing while the heavy model uses 2" tubing.

He built it this way so the user can use a variety of scopes on it. He uses his 10, 16 and 25" on the same platform.

He has a website, but for his other business for medical systems. He'll have a website up soon.

Clear skies,
    Alvin
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Here is a nice thread regarding the Blandin Platforms

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...t=1&PHPSESSID=
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Administrator/Co-Founder Dragan's Avatar
    Alvin,

Its been quite a few months and I've been curious.

What it is the status of these platforms?
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Hi all,

I've updated my page to include some high level detail regarding the Crossbow platforms. (Scroll to bottom). I'm temporarily hosting the details until he gets his website up.

http://www.faintfuzzies.com/ObservingAids.html

Here is a recent customer review of the platform on Cloudynights.
    http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...t=1&PHPSESSID=
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

I just updated it with a video I took last month showing the reset feature.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Hi Alvin

This looks really impressive, and at the same time, very affordable for a student like me. I've written to Gregg and am strongly considering buying one for my 18".

Really appreciate y'all's efforts in making amateur astronomy more affordable!

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

BTW, I bought an equatorial platform from Gregg Blandin. I like it quite a lot. I drive a compact car, so it's important for me that it fit in along with my 18" Classic Obsession and the rest of my observing accessories. And it does. I'm not sure that would happen with a typical wooden platform.
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Hi all,

I've made some revisions to the material and presentation regarding the Crossbow platforms.

Some customer comments and photos are here including Akarsh's setup.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Hi all,

I sad to share that a good friend and long time observing buddy (30 years), Gregg Blandin, has passed away on April 23rd at home with his family by his side.

He has been an enthusiastic observer with various telescopes from 10" to 25" reflectors for more than 30 years. Observed with several regulars, such as Shneor (another CNer), myself and a few other friends. We have enjoy many nights under dark skies looking at cool deep sky objects.

He is well known for his Crossbow Platforms and even made top 10 S&T Hot Products recently. I'm sure that many customers here on DSF are enjoying his platforms. I know that I am as I have one of his prototypes and working well.

Keep his wife and his family in your prayers.

I'll keep this group updated as they come.
    Last edited by FaintFuzzies; May 9th, 2023 at 01:49 PM.
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Hi Alvin

My sincere condolences to Gregg’s family. I was one of his earlier customers thanks to your putting weight behind his platforms. Gregg was always very responsive and keen on finding ways to make his platforms better and keep even the most pesky customers like me happy. I wish I could’ve met him.

Regards
    Akarsh
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage

Very sad news, but I appreciate your passing it along, Alvin. I enjoyed the few times I observed together with Gregg as he was friendly and enthusiastic, and I know he was very helpful to others with his platforms. Another long-time amateur who will be sorely missed.

Steve
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel