Object of the Week - October 2, 2016 - NGC 55

NGC 55 = IC 1537 = ESO 293-050 = MCG -07-01-013 = PGC 1014
    RA: 00h 15m 05.9
    DEC: -39° 13' 01"
    Type: SB(s)m edge-on
    Size: 32.4' x 5.6'
    P.A.: 108°
    Mag: V = 7.9, B = 8.4

This southern showpiece was discovered by James Dunlop on 7 July 1826 from Parramatta (near Sydney) using his 9-inch f/12 speculum reflector. He described it as "a beautiful long nebula, about 25' in length; position north-preceding and south-following, a little brighter towards the middle, but extremely faint and diluted to the extremities. I see several minute points or stars in it, as it were through the nebula: the nebulous matter of the south extremity is extremely rare, and of a delicate bluish hue. This is a beautiful object."

John Herschel made his first observation on 3 May 1834 from the Cape of Good Hope, noting "bright; very large; very much elongated in a long irregular train, the preceding end being much the brightest. Whole length = 1.5 diam. of field, or 22' The nucleus is either a double star or a much more sharply terminated nebulous mass, elongated in a different position (146.5°) from that of the nebula (109.8°)." A second observation was made on 23 October 1835; "very bright; very large; very much elongated; at least 25' long and 3' broad. The following part is faint, the preceding and shorter tri-nuclear, the 2nd nucleus taken. A strange object." His final observation from 4 October 1836 reads, "very bright, very large; a very long irregular crooked ray with 3 nuclei, the second of which appears to consist of stars." His sketch of the galaxy clearly shows the convoluted form and three brighter sections of NGC 55.

This Irregular galaxy resides at a distance is only ~6.2 million light years. So it's one of the closest galaxies to the Milky Way outside of the local group (possibly the closest). NGC 55 is viewed nearly edge-on and has a diameter of ~55,000 light years. A 2006 study ("Distance determination to NGC 55 from the planetary nebula luminosity function") by Steene et al yielded a distance of 7.5 million l.y. This is comparable to NGC 300 and it's very possible the two galaxies form a bound system. NGC 55 extends over 30' in length and the fainter southeast end of the galaxy (catalogued separately as IC 1537) crosses over the constellation border into Phoenix!

With a declination of -39°, northern observers don't see this galaxy at its finest. Still, even though it only rises 5 to 10° above the southern horizon I encourage you to go after NGC 55 as it holds a wealth of detail. Here's Ron Buta's eyepiece sketch using a 36-inch at McDonald Observatory (on a non-photometric night).

NGC 0055 36-McD.jpg

Serge Vieillard sketched it with a 16-inch from La Palma --

ngc55_09.jpg

I had an amazing view through a 30-inch in 2010 at Coonabarabran in Australia --
    NGC 55 nearly filled the 37' field of the 21mm Ethos at 264x, extending close to 30' in length WNW-ESE and roughly 4' in width. The structure was fascinating at 429x with a highly irregular surface brightness due to dusty patches and rifts along with bright clumps and knots. The "bright" central section, which is offset WNW of center, spans ~9' in length. At the west end of the central section, the surface brightness dims significantly and the galaxy tapers, extending several arc minutes further WNW. At the ESE side of the central portion is a bright, elongated, mottled core, roughly 1' in length and bulging slightly. Just ESE of the core are two noticeable knots; the first is small but elongated, the second knot is very bright and elongated. With careful viewing the second knot resolved into two individual pieces or clumps. Continuing further ESE, the surface brightness drops significantly very quickly and a large, elongated dark wedge appears to take a bite out of the galaxy. Just as the galaxy begins to brighten again towards the ESE end, there is another bright round knot and a second very small piece just detached to the ENE. At the ESE tip the galaxy brightens a bit more and has an irregular, patchy appearance with a couple of brighter stars superimposed.

NGC 55 - ESO.jpg
    This image was taken with the Wide Field Imager on the 2.2-metre MPG/ESO telescope at ESO La Silla Observatory.

GIVE IT A GO AND LET US KNOW!
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; October 3rd, 2016 at 02:23 AM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Here is NGC 55 with IC 1537 over the trees from 42N. 12", left-right reversed.

Nice choose Steve,

similar to Ivan I remember an observation from a high altitude place at 47°N where we could blink out some HII regions with a 14" telescope just over the mountain tops.
    I had to wait until I went to Namibia to see the whole beauty. As you suggest practically impossible to describe (and sketch) the amount of detail what is visible. Luckily I had a smaller telescope by hand and tried to catch as many detail I could.

14.5", 118x-283x, NELM 7m+, Seeing III (Namibia/Hakos)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Excellent sketch, Uwe. Here's another one published in 1885 based on observations made with the ill-fated Great Melbourne Telescope

NGC 55 scale.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; October 3rd, 2016 at 04:00 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

NGC 55 is a great object. I have seen it in 2012 from Hakos, Namibia with a 16" Dobsonian. I didn't make a drawing because I had many other targets. But I remember a huge bright galaxy with a great amount of details (bright detailed knots, etc.).
    NGC 55 is certainly near the top of my southern drawing wish-list.
    Peter Kiss
    deepeye.hu
    Hungary

My best observation of NGC 55 is from 202 with my old 20 inch:

"Very low, just a few degrees above the horizon but still a great sight. It's so long that it spans more than half the 31mm Nagler fov. Mottled structure all through the brightest half - which is interesting since 55 is so different looking in its two halves. The brighter half has some interesting detail while the fainter half has none. 91x"

I made a very rough sketch, which I've cleaned up a bit here:

NGC55sketch.JPG NGC55sketch_cropinvert.jpg

This observation was from one of the finest nights I've ever had at Steens Mountain, but was before I had a SQM. In my general notes for the night I wrote "The first three hours last night were EPIC - very dark, with only a slight auroral glow, and very steady seeing - sharp stars at 1250x in and around the Ring Nebula."

I'd love to see this from the southern hemisphere too!
    Howard
    30-inch f/2.7 alt-az Newtonian
    https://sites.google.com/site/howardbanichhomepage/
    https://sites.google.com/site/sprays...pemirrors/home
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope magazine