Thread: An improved DSS Query tool for visual observers

An improved DSS Query tool for visual observers

Hi

This is not a vendor announcement (after all it's a free website), but I couldn't find a better place to post this, especially given that I'm fishing for publicity for this tool.

http://www.bas.org.in/dssdirect.php

At the above URL, you can find an improved DSS query tool designed for visual observers. It fetches the DSS images from MAST as usual, but is (IMO) a significant improvement on the traditional MAST interface at archive.stsci.edu
    For starters, it automatically resolves the object in one step. The resolver used is Sesame of CDS, which uses SIMBAD / NED / VizieR depending on whatever resolves the object. Mostly it uses SIMBAD.

After you enter an object's name, it gives you a bunch of controls, for example:
    http://www.bas.org.in/dssdirect.php?id=NGC+891

This include the ability to flip, rotate, and zoom the image, invert colors, and draw an FOV circle (setting the size to 0 removes the circle).

Under the "Automatic Adjustment" section, you will find that if you enter the latitude and longitude of your location, it will auto-rotate the DSS image to match the view through a dob telescope at the present time. Generally, leave it on auto-update as it will update the orientation every minute or so as the field rotation changes.

There is also a convenient interface to change the object without changing the other settings (such as auto adjustment of rotation) at the bottom of the page.

Please give me your feedback and I will try to improve it in my spare time.

Clear Skies
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

Looks really nice. Well done Akarsh and thanks for sharing! It would be nice to be able to right-click the image and download it. Though it may be my browser that prevents this (Safari on MacOs Sierra).

Clear skies,

Wouter

I happened to be "in the zone" today, and made a bunch of improvements, including a more intuitive UI (I hope), the ability to mark north, and the ability to query Sloan DSS as well.

Plus, you can click anywhere on the image to put a pair of cross-hairs. An estimate of the coordinates of the cross-hair point appear below the image, along with two links: one to query SIMBAD by coordinates, and another to center that location. This is something I would find extremely useful when observing with large aperture ("Hey, what's that object there?").

Quote Originally Posted by wvreeven View Post
    Looks really nice. Well done Akarsh and thanks for sharing! It would be nice to be able to right-click the image and download it. Though it may be my browser that prevents this (Safari on MacOs Sierra).
    Wouter, this works for me on Firefox. I can right-click and "Save Image As..." to download it. The downloaded image on Firefox includes all the annotations too.

Clear Skies

Regards
    Akarsh
    18" f/4.5 Obsession dob "Romela"
    6" SkyQuest Orion dob
    Garrett Optical 25x100
    Homepage
    DSS Tool : Logbook Project : KStars
    The Astronomy Connection : Austin Astronomical Society : Bangalore Astronomical Society

This is nice! Thanks Akarsh for this!!

Duane
    Duane Smith
    StarStructure 30" F/3.3