Thread: Recent observations in Leo with 20"

Post Recent observations in Leo with 20"

February 18. Clear, humid, calm, +3 C, average transparency. Observed for 1 h around 01:00. SQM 21.34. 20" F/5 Obsession, mostly 13 mm Ethos.

NGC 3196. Bratton marks it as one of the most difficult objects in the Herschel catalog. Herschel himself recorded it as "a little doubtful". I could not see it in the 12" last time. Now in the 20 it is a somewhat intermittent EW oval. Mag 16.19B. 676 Mly.

NGC 3216. Similarly not seen last time, although it is larger and much brighter.

NGC 3226 and 3227. Arp 94. H400 reobservation; seen previously in 4". W arm curving toward companion. Opposite arm pointing toward star seen only with 8 mm as a straight segment not extending past the core.

NGC 3239. Arp 263, "Loony Galaxy". In 2012 I observed the supernova and the brightest features in 12". Brightest part just N of star. E of the star on the same edge is an almost equally bright compact object. A fainter one is embedded N of the star in the bright part. Separated cloud like a hook S pointing at companion E. Grainy streak SW, oriented NW-SE. Faint extension of the bright part toward star W.

February 19. Same conditions. 9 new objects observed between 23:30 and 1:00.

NGC 3303, Arp 192. Fainter component NW, touching.

NGC 3338. 8 mm. Enhancements E and W of central core where arms bend. SW arm segment points at star. N arm segment shorter than core.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net

What's especially impressive about Herschel's observation of NGC 3196 is that it was made in twilight. It was made just 12 minutes after noting "Began. Strong twilight and faint moon light."

After barely picking up NGC 3196, he commented "I do not much doubt it; but there is too much [twi]light to verify it."
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    18" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Tel

Interesting. I can recall one or two unexpectedly easy observations in twilight or moonlight. There may be conditions where adding the background improves perception by raising the peak brightness, but I suspect that the first object in twilight is simply observed before any effects of fatigue.
    Ivan
    20" Sky-Watcher
    deepskyblog.net